Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do the Roland V-Bass and the Line 6 Bass Pod Pro compare?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by l0calh05t, May 1, 2002.

1. for recording, or for effects?

2. recording (amp simulation mainly)

3. Well, i have no experience with the V-bass, but i can tell you that you should really stear clear from the POD. It just isn't a good product at all. For the money of the pod pro i would definately get an Aguilar DB900. But like i said, when talking about the V-bass, i have no idea, ask Adrian.

4. Actually other people said liked the pod pro very much. what didn't you like about it?

5. I just felt it had really medicore tones.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think the real power of the V-Bass is the bass modeling, more than the amp models and effects. But, this is based on the V-Guitar system - haven't heard if the bass modeling lives up to that or not.

I've got a POD. Not really happy with it. It's got a certain "suck" factor to the tone :) that I just can't seem to shake. It's also got some really annoying idiosyncracies. Like, drastic volume changes between different amp models (at the same "output level" setting), and weirder, between different effects settings. I'd use it more for the effects at least (with an Alembic superfilter+F2 and a SansAmp I don't find I need the amp models much anymore), if it weren't for those factors.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have gotten rid of my POD! It didn't really work for me, and I think that's the key to POD ownership - it either does it for you really well, or it doesn't.

I think that due to it's heavy bias on amp and cab modelling, it makes a really good pre-amp for people requiring the versatility of 10 different amps, but who don't have a gang of roadies to move all of the amps! Its effects I'd say are OK, but not very tweakable!

When I bought it, it was with the intention of using it as a multi - effects unit, which unfortunately is not it's intended role in life. I have since acquired a Boss GT-6B, which seems to be a much better deal for my needs! About the V-bass, couldn't help you, but to me the GT-6B seems to be a poor mans version - without the bass modelling and synth tracking (it also costs less than half!)