1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do these two compare?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by camardelle, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    They are both P necks, so they are going to be very similar.

The VM is listed as a C shaped neck, whereas the MIM Standard has a Modern C. Otherwise, their specs are the same.

2. Thank you very much, and thanks for the really quick response too.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    ... chances are specs stay possibly the very same... I'm serious... furthermore... the VM Precision you mentioned is really one of the most reliable Squier Precision model among their whole range of products

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. My first p bass was an older Squier that I purchased here on TB, then I purchased the first of two really nice MIM Fenders and they sound so much better. It's my understanding that the newer Squiers are really nice and compare to the MIMs really nicely. I was looking at a used MIM locally, but for the same price would rather have a new guitar, plus I really like the look of the blonde body (who wouldn't, huh?) on this Squier. And GC has a 13% off coupon for today to boot which would make the price around $220. Hard to beat that.

Thanks for all the guidance here. It really helps a noob stay together.

5. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    The great thing on that one, and not on regular Vintage Modified Precisions (Olympic White and rosewood fingerboard) is that you have a maple body, matching your all maple neck. Then you got lotta snap, retaining Precision obligatory "roar", especially if you're open to swap a DiMarzio ModelP in place of the Duncan Designed splitcoil spot

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Yeah, it's not called a "blonde" finish. It's officially called "Transparent Amber", which, to my eyes looks like it's trying to reproduce an aged natural finish.
    Blonde is something enitirely different.
    BTW, I believe one main difference between the MIM necks and the VM's neck is that the Squier has a satin poly finish as opposed to the MIM's glossy poly finish.
    If that matters to you.
    BTW, I have one of these and I think it's safe to say, it's my favorite bass, even over my MIA Jazz.
    And I must warn you, if you want one, get it NOW, as this model just recently went out of production.

7. Not me. I like the stock DD pickup very much.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    They do. I would still recommend to play them before buying if possible. They are generally pretty good, but sometimes one may slip through that wouldn't be optimal to you.

Also have a look at the Squier Classic Vibe stuff. It's a little more expensive than the VM series, but it's also a little nicer. I''m not sure if they have the colors you'd be looking for, but just another option.

9. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have the VM Squier P and I have a MiM P. They are two different animals... The MiM has a RW board while the VM is maple. The body of the MiM is alder while the VM is soft maple. The MiM uses stand Fender p'ups while the VMS uses Duncan Designed.

I am a chronic modder so I have to say neither of my Ps are stock, but I will say I like them equally for their differences. On build quality, I have to say the nod goes to the MiM. Out of the box it was pretty much perfect except the factory string height was a little high. The VM on the other hand had a few what some might call major issues. First, the screws that fasten the tuners to the head were loose. The fret edges were sharp and sticking out a bit beyond the fretboard. It was like running my hand up a steak knife. There was a bit of either glue or neck finish on the fretboard under the G string at the 6th an 8th frets causing a horrible buzz. Finally, there was a bunch of overspray on the back of the neck.

I was able to sort out all of the problems with a little elbow grease so you may have to put some effort into it, but in the end, you'll end up with a great bass.

10. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I know... I "have" to tweak, you don't... My fault... It's beyond me...

Cheers,
    Wallace