Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do they detemine the rating of a quilted/flamed top?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    what makes a top AAAAA vs. only AAA?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends on how much you're willing to pay.

One luthiers AAA is anothers AAAAAA is anothers AAAA

3. Lots of factors here:
    • Regularity of curl pattern
    • Density of figure
    • Depth of figure
    • Strong color differentiation

Check this out for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=42283&sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT&rd=1

I got this tonight on ebay.:D

While this could easily be called AAAAA, there was another piece from the same board that sold last week that was slightly better and sold for $20 more. So it sort of depending on what you're comparing it to.

4. cool! what are you planning on making with it?

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That is by far the ugliest, nastiest, most unsightly piece of carpeting i've seen.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I installed the same stuff in my grandparents house, they love it. Must be a grandma thing. Besides, who wants to spend a few grand on flooring when there is gear to buy?

7. Damn! What carpet?!! :confused: :D

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Matt,
    Unfortunately, there really isn't any industry "standard" or definatively objective grading/rating system when it comes to tops. The process is largely subjective and it all depends on the individual who is selling the piece. For instance, a AAAAA top graded by Carvin might be a AAAA top for Gibson. A top that Gibson would rate as AAAAA might not even be considered AAA by Keith Roscoe, etc. When it comes to tops, it's important to know the standards of the person you're dealing with (get a feel for what s/he considers average, premium, and exhibition grade) and try to get photos before you buy, if possible. Hope that helps! ;)

9. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Carvin's flamed and quilted maple used to be listed in their catalogs as AAA. Recently, they started calling it AAAA. I asked them if it was better wood, or a misprint, or just what the difference was. I was told that there was no difference in the wood they were offering. Their supplier changed their rating system.

So, I guess it just depends on where you get it and who's doing the rating.

EDIT:

Oh, and since we're on the subject . . .
    any lame excuse I can find to post pics of my AAAA quilted maple Carvin B4F ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That's a good lookin' bass. I really like the matching flying "V" headstock :cool: .

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That Carvin looks like a pool of water.
    Just dive right in.

Nice bass BTW mgood.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    IF it shows closeups of someone getting shot in the head or run over by a steam roller it's PG-13. If there are boobies though it's rated R.

Oh wait a minute....what was the question again?

brad cook