how do u hold a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bailstric, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    Ive been playing for a about 1 year now and have a reasonably good under standing of using my fingers to play. I now want to start using a pick for some stuff but im not sure how to properly hold it. I think I have an idea but I dont want to get into any bad habbits, thanks
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    between your thumb and forefinger
  3. tight enough not to drop it
  4. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    i use fingers now, but when i picked, i held the pick between my thumb and index with my middle ring and pinky stretching away from the middle
  5. you might try to hold it like the British people hold there tea minus the ring finger. You know between the thumb, index, and middle. But you know the right way is the way that feels good to you. Just keep that in mind when trying new stuff.
    have a good day
  6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    haahahaha...thas EXACTLY how i hold it, and its also the best discription i have heard..haha good call ;)
  7. Anyone for tea? What what? Pip-pip, Tally-ho!

Bye chum :)
  8. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    god, you americans are so stereotypical, im english and im not at all like that.
  9. americans? notice that The Mole is from england.

anyway, i hold it with thumb, index and middle. the traditionally "correct" way is thumb and index only, but i think my way gives more control. plus i've never broken a string with it.
  10. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    hehe u have funny haircut:D
  11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Usually give 'em to the guitarist... or let the floor "hold 'em"
  12. english people drink tea out of mugs. try drinking tea out of a mug with just your thumb and forefinger i just did and i got soaked!!!!

As for picks i never use them, but if your after a particular sound then the best way is thumb, forefinger and bird finger, otherwise you'll spend hours looking for your picks after they've pinged off all over the room(but thats just my opinion.!!

Have fun man
  13. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    what? whats the bird finger?
  14. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    its the one you use to flip em the bird ;)

i don't get the middle finger thing though, i use only thumb and forefinger and i rarely ever drop a pick. the key to a good grip is using your thumb, its the strongest finger you have.
  15. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah, but why do you call the middle finger the bird finger why does it get the name bird, it doesent look like one.:rolleyes:
  16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    the question as been answered.
    I will close the thread now that it is goind way off topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.