How do u keep you left hand off the fingerboard...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Trist6075, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I am really trying to work on my left hand playing technique. I finally got to the point where I can play one finger per fret starting on my pinki moving down a string and up a fret like in Jaco's first excercise of his video. I can do this without getting any sound from the fretboard. But when I try to play a bassline(see below) I get all this awkward noise from the neck, like the thud of strings hitting the fretboard and screeching noises if I move down the neck. I read a recent post on here saying that you should avoid letting your hand collapse onto the G string side of the neck. Could this be the cause of the noise? I find this really hard to do without bending my wrist which leads to pain. I thought I'd show you part of the bassline I've been trying to play that has been giving me noise. Can you guys try to play this line if you have your bass handy and let me know if you get noise other than note ringing when you play or maybe help me with this position thing keeping my hand off the bottom of the neck. It is prefferably at the base of my finger just like in the other post the other day. I am just having a hard time correcting this and I want to move on. Thanks here's the line...Sorry for rambling. Gonna go practice some more on this technique. Any advise would be great.

8th notes
    A 5
    E 5 7 5 7 5 3 0
  2. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    hmm a sound clip would really help my friend :D try to get one but your explanations a bit confusing :p
  3. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    Its just seems that I am getting alot of extra noise when I push down the strings and release. Like On E I playnotes A B to the D on the next string I get a lot of noise just doing that. Then when I go back to A B and up to G and get a screeching sound. Do I just need to crank up the volume or EQ or something? How much can u bend your hand. Does it have to be flat from your knuckels to your wrist when your playing. My problem seems to be in the E A string range I think.
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    practice palm, thumb and finger muting.
    muting will greatly reduce any unwanted noise.
  5. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    How much do your fingers move? Ideally, they should hover over the strings closely, and when it is time for one finger to fret a string, you can depress it with minimal force, which will minimize fret clank, etc. Finger independence is critical. You want all of the fingers you aren't holding strings down with to continue to hover in 'ready to fret' position.

In terms of left hand position: Is your bass at waist level? You may need to raise it, or at least point the headstock up more. My arm/wrist is pretty straight.
  6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Good advice!