<<<how do u play ur bass>>>? anwer all!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassone, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassone

Bassone Guest

Jun 8, 2004
    Australia, Sydney

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - > do u play bass wid pick, thum, all fingers or any other way?
    all entries r appreciated <- - - - - - -

2. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    i may have had something to say, but since i can't say it nicely i guess it wasn't important

edit(JT): read the usage agreement :mad:
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  4. It says your 15 yeard old in your profile. Please spell like it. I'm sick of this internet l33t newb **** where everything is spelt incorrectly. This is why 60% of people fail state mandated tests. It all starts here....
  5. Poor Bassone... He must be gone by now.

Anyway, welcome to TalkBass. The bitching is current money around here, don't take it too personnally. ;)

There's no "right" way to play the bass. You can play with a pick, with one, two, three, or even four fingers, or you can pluck the strings with your thumb. There's also the technique called "slapping and popping", where you smack the strings with the thumb or pull and release them with the fingers.

The more techniques you know, the more tools in the toolbox. It all depends on the tone you want to get.

Hope that helped, and good luck.

P.S.: It's true that you'll get more respect here if you learn to type correctly. Take your time, proof-read your posts, this is no chat room. A well-written post is much more enjoyable to read.
  6. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Um, might I point out that there's a misspelling in that rant? It's SPELLED, not spelt.

I agree with you. If you're going to use the language, you might as well use it correctly.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    2 fingers mainly, I use both fingers as one (or just one) on big notes... I can pick, but generally don't. I slap a bit... but just a little.

:bassist: Welcome to TalkBass
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Either form is permissable.

I thought "spelt" was exclusive to British English, but it seems it is used in America too.

9. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Welcome to TB indeed :D
    I play with 2, sometimes 3 fingers. I don't slap much, but I do when the groove calls for it :)

It's no cardinal sin to spell badly, but it ain't appreciated much around these parts - how you wanna respond to that... well, that's up to you I guess ;)
  10. rusty

Mar 29, 2004

It is proper British english.

Other words that are also spelt/led differently...

Grey - Gray
    Storeys (building height) - Stories
    Colour - Color

and many more :)
  11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I played with a pick for years. Mainly because I wasn't technically adept enough at fingerstyle.

I now play mostly with my fingers. Mainly because I kept losing my picks :)

I generally use my first two fingers, with my thumb anchoring on the string above (in terms of position, not pitch), moving as appropriate.

I'll sometimes bring my third finger in, mainly for playing fast triplets. I'm working on using three fingers for quadruplets etc. but I'm not comfortable with it yet, particularly when changing strings.

I sometimes use the thumb, but I'm not that good at it.
  12. I play slap, I've only needed to use up to three fingers, and that was on "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden. I can not play tap style at all. I can play with a pick, but I never do.
  13. Just TRY. Don't be lazy. Some people aren't the best at spelling, but make the frickin' attempt!

I play with a pick, nearly exclusively.
  14. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Two fingers myself. Slap when called for. Never could get a feel for playing with a pick, but that's just me.
  15. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    I use fingers usually but do slap on occasion. I don’t use a pick because they styles of music I play wouldn’t call for one.
    I don’t really think that proper grammar and spelling warrants as much complaining as it gets. Are you unable to understand what has been written? For me, it just isn’t a big deal.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm going to move this on over to technique, and thanks guys for not jumping too much on this kid's case.

welcome to talkbass, btw. :)
  17. I play mostly with my index and middle finger but I'll throw ring finger in if I need it, I've also been playing with a lot of slap since I've been learning a lot of primus lately.
  18. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    As of now, I play exclusively pick with my band, but I'm going to try to work in some fingers and even slap eventually.

When I'm just practicing, I play with pick half the time, slap the other half, and alittle finger. I just can't get too comfortable with my fingers. I always attack the string, like I want to kill it so I just rely on pick. But I can play just as fast with my fingers as I can a pick if not faster, and can slap faster than I can do pick or fingers.
  19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This has been done to death. Use the search function.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.