1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do use your octaver? Anybody go WAY low?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassyBill, May 3, 2010.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've had one for a few years now, in both multi FX and my Digitech BSW (which does a great job in this role, incidentally).

In the past, I've always used it whilst playing in the mid-to-upper range of the instrument (say, C on the A string and above) with a good proportion of the wet signal mixed in. But just recently, I've taken a liking to playing down pretty low - say, bottom G - with just a tiny, barely noticeable amount of the really, really low frequency wet signal added.

You can't really hear the sub-octave distinctly, but somehow you can feel it and the sound gets pretty beefed up in an almost subliminal way. It's a fantastically cool effect, I think, and hopefully the very low amplitude of the very low frequencies - down to 24 Hz for the G - won't wreck my drivers too quickly (I hope). It's only a tone below the bottom note on a piano, after all. :eek:

EDIT - I do understand that there won't be a lot of the lowest fundamental in the signal, but I'm still cautious because doing this obviously increases the LF content of what gets to my cabs.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I never really go lower than the open A string, E 5th fret, this very slight, very low sound though, seems interesting, I must give it a try!

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Do it! It's very cool, gives me a stupid grin on my face every time. :D

But take care not to blow your drivers - any audible farting out is a bad sign, listen carefully to what your cab tells you.

4. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    upper-range only like you Bill, c note on the a string and higher.. I need to try what you're doing and see if it works.

5. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Guest

Feb 15, 2010
    what kind of amp/cab set up are you using, Bill?

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Of course, but I should be fine, I use a SS half stack thats way overpowered for my needs, I'm keeping the volumes much, much lower than it can handle.

7. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I use a Markbass 210 combo with a 115 extension cab on gigs and my older, very very heavy rig - Hartke 5000 with two 210s and a 115 - at home for practice. Both rigs seem to handle this okay with the careful approach that I said. ;)

8. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    I frequently go down to low G with my OC-2 set at about 60% wet signal. I go through a GK Neo-115 and never have any probs.

Any lower than G seems a bit glitchy though.

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    From time to time I purposely go into glitch territory with a completely wet signal,....OCT.1 all the way up,...DIRECT LEVEL and OCT.2 all the way off. Couple that with the glitchy decay setting on an OLC Chunky Cheese (#4) and into an envelope filter and I can produce this watery blurby sort of effect. It's great for creating sound scapes and walls of sound and generally get dirty looks from the soundman or bartender.

I play a 500 watt SS amp (that I set the gain very carefully to not clip) through 1000 watt 4ohm cab and have never had any blown drivers.

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I use my OC-2 purely for getting synth sounds, so it's Oct 1 at 100%, and Dry and Oct 2 0%.

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Hmm, this idea is also relevant to my interests, I might have a few questions for you later...

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I'm heading over to the UTBC at the moment.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I'll pop in for a bit too!

14. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    UTBC?

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
  16. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I had my POG, I pretty much ran a standard 50/50 mix between dry and -1. Sometimes I would play around with adding upper octaves, bu the 50/50 was my standard octave tone. I would play this all the way down to open E.

Now that I'm using the POG2, I've dialed in some of -2 (very little, slider at 10% or less). It really fattens the tone, especially high up on the neck. When I'm in one of the presets that has the -2, I stay pretty careful not to go below 7th fret E on the A string.