1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do we know when we have "arrived" ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jul 24, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

We all have goals in life and that is a good thing. I had my own bucket list at age 28. I wanted to be married and have children, to own a house, to learn how to snow ski, to see the Aurora Borealis and to see a moose in the wild. At the time none of those things seemed possible, but I have done all of them except the last two.
    I go through life thinking things like "If I can just finish high school everthing will be great" or “If I could just get married everything will be alright” or “If could just pay off all my bills I won’t have any more problems.” The reality is that none of those things on their own make my life wonderful. As soon I reach one goal I am off to the next. Right now I want to finish a novel I am writing and of course when I finish it everyone will love me then because I am such a great writer. Yeah right.
    I have learned it really it really isn’t about what I achieve it is about who I become while I am along the way, and there will always be more to challenges. I don’t think I will ever arrive at that place where I will be happy ever after and that is okay. Maybe that realization is how we “arrive.”

2. It's not the destination, it's the journey.
    Then again, I've seen the Aurora and moose in the wild, so...

3. slobake

I'm jealous :D

4. My Bucket list consists of enjoy everyday and be glad I woke up on this side of the pavement. ha ha ha. All of us set goals that we want or feel we need, some more important then others. That is life in a nut shell get as much as you can out of it before the Dirt Nap.

5. Life is nothing more than a series of challenges to be met, and things you learn along the way. The combination of the two is what makes up "life experience". I think the only time you'll know you've arrived is when they've shut off the machines and pulled the sheet over your head. One of my goals in life is to earn a Bachelor's degree in History, which I plan to do once I retire. Sometimes I think that when I walk up on the stage with my cap and gown on to get my sheepskin is the moment I'll have arrived, but really, I know better. It'll be a moment of personal triumph, but that's it. I'll get a bigger thrill the day my first grandchild is born.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont think there is truly a point where one becomes "happily ever after". I find that Im happiest whilst pursuing some goal, learning something new about myself, and about life, and the universe along the way. In that sense, Im always happy. Im at my worst when I lay idle.

My goals, as of late, have been focused less on the material and more on the spiritual. I find myself more satisfied than ever.

There you go.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I saw a moose in my back yard just the other day. As a matter of fact, the northern lights were out a few nights ago too.

-Mike

8. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive..." --Robert Louis Stevenson

9. My biggest goal was to graduate highschool , did that.Then it was start college and finish it , now I am 1 term away. I thought if i got a bachelors everything would be cake but now that I am so close I see that is not true. I am now focusing on where I would like to complete a masters program. I dont think you ever arrive tell you leave.

10. slobake

"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    "All your dreams will come true. All my dreams came true. But now, I have a bunch of other dreams."

Quest For The Cup - Sonic Youth

12. slobake

"

Yup, you have to leave to arrive. I like that.

13. my current goals are to studio record a full length cd with my band including full packaging and artwork. play a show with over 250 in attendence.

i've been married. i'm getting married again. i have 2 kids. own 2 houses....

i wanna get in some more travelling.. california, british columbia, alaska, finland, sweden, all on the list...

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've traveled the world, seen and done so many things, pursued every one of my interests, worked hard to educate myself and develop my skills, and forged lifelong relationships with my friends and family. Now I have a little baby boy and a wonderful wife and a tiny little house. I'm virtually debt-free and I have the luxury of focusing my attention on raising a family.

I still have plenty of things that I would like to accomplish and places to go, but it feels like I have "arrived" in the sense that I have few regrets and I have managed my expectations in life to minimize disappointment over things I cannot control or change.

15. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    As the line in the song says: life is what happens when you're making other plans.

I'm to the point where I pretty much just ride it out and see what happens. Not in the sense of giving up and "what happens, happens" (I'm always trying to do better) but I'm fully aware that some things are just totally out of my control no matter how well I've tried to map it out.

Still have a lot I'd like to do.

16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Once I get the 7 foot concrete Easter Island Moai head out of the crate in my front/side yard and in place in the backyard, I think I'm good.

I make tiny self improvement goals for myself. It may sound petty, but right now resisting and taming the desire/urge to give people that cut me off the finger is my focus and it's tough. I'm trying to deep breathe versus finger wave.

17. slobake

Some day I may reach road Nirvana, but I'm not there yet either.

18. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011

I agree with this. I have fun learning something new. Once I figure it out I get bored fast. Alot of my other hobbies disappeared after I learned all there was that I can do, like plastic model airplanes. I learned alot, then it got repetitive. Bass is different, I learn something new every day that was cooler than the thing i learned the day before.

19. Dude, get close to dying a lot, makes you appreciate every day. And look forward to the little things. Like paintball this weekend, for me :)

Interestingly enough, most of the absolutely awesome stuff I've done was hardly planned out very far ahead (including being in a band). It's the things that just fall into your lap that are some of the most interesting stories :)

Peace,
    Greg

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Me too. That's pretty deep.