1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how do write ur songs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Vacume, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    I mean with ur band, do u all sit down, drummer,singer,guitarist,guitarist,bass start from scratch or do u and maby one other person work to write a song, so is it better to write as a band or just by ur self and a partner?

2. It's "better" if it works for you and your circumstance. I don't think anyone could say that working one way is better than the other.

For my band there are two major music writters, and one lyrics/melody writter. We work alone, in pairs and as a group depedning on circumstance. If we jam something at a rehersal that's going somewhere decent, then it's all hands on deck.

Otherwise, when I'm writting alone I take influence from our jam tapes and just go with the flow. I can't begin to tell you how useful Ableton Live is for this task. Now we can get our drummer to play a dozen different beats in two minutes and loop them in Ableton. Lots of our songs have started out as a drum beat. Some songs have had four or five incarnations on the same beat before we've settled on something.

If I sit down thinking to myself "gotta write a song today" then it'll never happen. It's gotta be organic. All I do is pull up the latest loop and jam over it, if I strike something cool it's quick and easy to put Ableton into record mode, that keeps the momentum of the moment!

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Personally, I write the skeletons of the music, and sometimes I'll have more of an idea than others how it should come together.

My bassist is getting a lot better at helping me with details - good ideas for intros and outros, cool little instrumental riffs, vocal riffs, etc...

My drummer is often my biggest influence on groove. He'll play something, and it will evolve as he gets more comfortable... and then I'll change my style to fit him, and he'll continue evolving, until we have a groove that might be far from what I originally envisioned, but it's still great, and often better.

There are also the occasional songs that pop out of my head fully orchestrated, but those are few and far between.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My guitarist comes in every now and then and says- this is the new song!

For the good music in my band, me and the singer (who can play rhythm guitar pretty well, and drum a little) usually work things out, in such a way that the vocals and rhythms are cool complements.

I have a lot of great ambient jams going on with the drummer, but yet to be incorporated into the song writing.

As a band, we instrumentalists usually put the final spin on the song and work out structure, finer points, and how we want to do transitions. Usually the singer already knows what he wants and how to do it.

I also spend hours practicing and hammering out technical riffs. Most of these go nowhere with the band (like my 13/8 tapping song), but the best stuff I do musically came from sitting by myself and working on it.

5. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    The guitarist plays a sample of what he is thinking about. The singer creates a melody to that. They present it to me and the drummer. We create parts that fit and enforce the goals of the guitarist and singer. The guitarist usually has simple bass and drum parts in mind. Sometimes I play almost exactly that part, sometimes I make up new riffs to change the direction of the song. After we've all got an idea of how the song is working, we analyze each other's parts to blend them better with each other. Sometimes, the guitarist will end up not liking parts he wrote.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't write ur songs.

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Me, my guitarist, or sometimes even my drummer will come up with an idea on their own while we're all away...We'll bring the idea to practice (in my case, it's recorded since I'm forgetful jones when it comes to remembering parts). We all take a listen, and see what we can do with it, and sometimes the part becomes the basis for a whole new song, sometimes it goes out in the trash, or gets re worked. My singer also has ideas when he hears what's been written, and sometimes he has pretty good ideas as well. As of late, I've been doing the majority of writing. I don't mind, as long as they help out when I go dry of ideas.

8. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i write all of our music alone. i start on guitar or bass. the original part i start with has to define the song enough so if i pull the faders down on everything but the original part, i can still hear the song. once i feel the composition is complete for the original part, i'll track maybe 7 minutes of a drum machine rythym at the tempo i have chosen. i'll then track the part i wrote. sometimes i'll have the arrangement worked out, some times i arrange the song on the fly. if i started on bass for example, i'll then write a rythym guitar part, all the vocal melodies on guitar (to be removed later once vocals are done), and all the lead guitar parts. once this is done, drummer tracks real drums, vocalist tracks her parts. song done except for mixing and mastering. peace, jeff

9. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Well my guitarist and I will sit down and write our own music lines and we'll bring them to practice. We'll sit down iwth teh drummer and we'll play our lines and the drummer makes his part of of that. I end up writing all the music. My bass instructor wants my group to do an orchestra arrangement so I usually write that stuff. But whatever floats your boat. Get your guitarist to write a line and create your music off that.

10. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    We regularly exchange licks by email. Works pretty good.

I record something with Cool edit or whatever and I get the replies on it during the week. If nobody really likes it you don't have to put any further effort into it.

And you always have it laying around somewhere on the PC if you ever want to use it for something else.