1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do Yamaha TRB's sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Berten, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I really like the lookes and the stringspacing (I like 19 mm) but how do they sound?
    Lots of mids and growl like a Jazzbass or a warwick thumb? Or more like a stingray? Or do they just sound like a yamaha TRB??
    Maybe someone can include some soundfiles???

PS:if anyone knows another sixstring with 19 mm stringspacing between 800 and 1200 euro, please tell me. I know the ibanez BTB, but I don't like it.
    I hope there will be a MTD kingston or heir sixstring sometimes!!

Tanks a lot

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to appreciate that there are lots of versions of the TRB which all sound different and have different specs.

So - old TRBP - passive Jazz-type pickups and piezos, plus neckthrough

Old TRBs - similar but bolt-on

TRBII - new preamp, soapbars etc.

TRBJP - sig model, bolt-on etc

New TRBPs - exotic woods, different preamp, piezos - expensive!

Oh and of course there have been fretless options which sound different again!!

3. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I mean the newer ones (the TRB II). I don't think I will find older,secondhand TRB's in my neighbourhood.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't like them - sound a bit "anonymous" to me! Whereas I had an old TRB6P which did sound like a 6-string Jazz bass - although the higher up you went, the less it sounded like a bass.

So I thought that the C string sounded more like amplified "spanish" guitar rather than bass.