Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do Yamaha TRB's sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Berten, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I really like the lookes and the stringspacing (I like 19 mm) but how do they sound?
    Lots of mids and growl like a Jazzbass or a warwick thumb? Or more like a stingray? Or do they just sound like a yamaha TRB??
    Maybe someone can include some soundfiles???

PS:if anyone knows another sixstring with 19 mm stringspacing between 800 and 1200 euro, please tell me. I know the ibanez BTB, but I don't like it.
    I hope there will be a MTD kingston or heir sixstring sometimes!!

Tanks a lot

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to appreciate that there are lots of versions of the TRB which all sound different and have different specs.

So - old TRBP - passive Jazz-type pickups and piezos, plus neckthrough

Old TRBs - similar but bolt-on

TRBII - new preamp, soapbars etc.

TRBJP - sig model, bolt-on etc

New TRBPs - exotic woods, different preamp, piezos - expensive!

Oh and of course there have been fretless options which sound different again!!

3. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I mean the newer ones (the TRB II). I don't think I will find older,secondhand TRB's in my neighbourhood.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't like them - sound a bit "anonymous" to me! Whereas I had an old TRB6P which did sound like a 6-string Jazz bass - although the higher up you went, the less it sounded like a bass.

So I thought that the C string sounded more like amplified "spanish" guitar rather than bass.