1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you adjust a neck that has to be removed to be adjusted?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by butchblack, Aug 14, 2007.

1. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi

I have a Fernandes bass. The design requires that I remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. Is there a way to measure the correct amount of adjustment with the neck off?

2. I've removed two bass necks to make 'relief' adjustments in the recent past. The rule-of-thumb for that critical (potentially dangerous) adjustment is no more than 1/4 turn of the hex or socket wrench... and thats tightening the nut, not loosening by the way. Tighten for less relief.. loosen for more relief (to increase the bowing)

Another thing: to stay on the safe side, lube that nut and the threads before you make any changes.

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    also to speed things up..try not to remove the neck altogether if u can.....or do what jaco did!!

4. Timmayx

Timmayx

May 29, 2006
    Wolverhampton, UK
    Which was?

5. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    just gouge out a channel to the truss rod with the screwdriver without bothering to even loosen the bolts on his jazz.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Instead of gouging, perhaps butch has a friend with a router who might do a neater job!

7. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    its so frustrating doing adjustments on a neck that needs to be removed every time that gauging a hole with a screwdriver is acctually great therapy and you get the mojo thrown in for good measure.;)

8. Timmayx

Timmayx

May 29, 2006
    Wolverhampton, UK

Sounds like good therapy to me lol

9. I would assume you remove the neck ;)