Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you amplify your low F#?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eli, Mar 15, 2003.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Interested to hear what you low F# players are using for rigs. Speakers, amps, power, especially the low end. Please mention what style of music you play and how loud your band usually plays. Are you happy with your rig or still searching?

2. jitsoa33

jitsoa33 Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    lafayette, ca
    with a pipe organ.

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    as long as the speaker/amp can handle about 20 hz, it is fine......low F# is 23 hz....but if I had a string that low I would proabaly tune it to E.....

4. hey Eli,

I'm running a Demeter VTBP-201s pre into a Stewart World 2.1 power amp then sending one channel to an AccuGroove El Whappo and the other to a Whappo Grande.

my ensembles vary from blues bands, to old school funk outfits and even instrumental fusion. we play at pretty serious volume and I've never even had to open things up all the way.

I'm using mosty fingerstyle and slap, but I incorporate a lot of harmonics and chording in with everything else. I have no problem delivering clean and articulated sub lows.

from the depths of the sound spectrum,

Stew

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Holy crap. That Whappo Grande is a 21"?

What's the power specs on the Stewart and the inpedance of the spks?

6. the Stewart delivers 775W @ 4 ohms per channel when it's run stereo and more than 2100W in a single 4 ohm load when it's bridged for mono.

the El Whappo is rated at 800W RMS @ 4 ohms and the Grande is rated to 800W RMS @ 8 ohms.

to say I'm happy with the rig doesn't even come close. of course now Greg Campbell's trying to sway me toward a combination Aphex 204 and 207 in lieu of my Demeter...

:D

from the low end,

Stew

7. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Instruments go into an APHEX 207 tube pre-amp...

Inserts go out to the APHEX easyrider compressor, from the compressor to a pair of Gibson digital Echoplexes, from the Echoplexes to an APHEX 204...

And then back to the inserts of the APHEX 207...

From the APHEX 207, the outputs go into a STEWART 2.1 power amp...

And then stereo out of a pair of AccuGroove El Whappos!

8. you're a sick, sick man, Campbell!

happy birthday, you old fart!

from the low end,

Stew