1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

How do you and your band members usually get to to a gig/rehearsal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThunderFox, Aug 24, 2017.

1. When you have a gig or rehearsal to get to, how do you and your bandmates get there? Public transport, carpool, van, tour bus (I wish), or do they come to you to rehearse? Any funny stories or funny unique incidents are acceptable too.

Here's my story...

When I go to a rehearsal, the rhythm guitar player picks me and the drummer up, and drives to the lead guitar players house. He has a medium sized minivan. If we are going to a rehearsal, we take a guitar each, amps, and an electric drum kit.

When we go to a proper gig, the rhythm guitar player carpools us again, but takes 3 people (including the driver), an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, 3 basses, an ukulele, an electric drum kit, a drum stool, a 60w guitar amp, a 100w bass amp, an effects pedalboard, a mixer, 2 microphone stands (with microphones), and all the cables that go with them all. Honestly, it's like tetris, but we always have just enough space for everything, and we aren't all cramped, even though the driver is 6' 5", and I'm 6'1" and big boned (fat more like). He's a good friend.

The lead guitar player, is the only one with separate transport (classic diva lead guitar player... ha ha, he's a good friend too). He has a minivan too, It's about 2 inches taller than the other car, but it's shorter from front to back. He takes 2 electric guitars, a semi-hollow guitar, an acoustic guitar, a mandolin, a PA speaker, a multi-effects pedal, a 40w amp, a microphone stand (with mics), all the cables that go with those. And guess who sets it all up, takes it all down, and takes the heavy stuff to and from both cars...that's right, this guy, typical.

We sometimes convey, depending on where it is, but most of the time, we meet up there.

Bodeanly likes this.
  2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Rehearsal is at singer's house (married to lead guitar). We all come from different directions and drive solo.

For gigs, we generally drive separately. The drummer and I will sometimes ride together for gigs that are over an hour away. Lead guitar and singer ride together when the singer doesn't have to work late. Rhythm guitar usually drives alone. I like going solo so I can leave whenever I'm ready.

ThunderFox likes this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I usually helicopter in. Easiest that way

ThunderFox likes this.
  4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I have definitely taken a variety of instruments on Twin Cities public transit, but mostly drive myself nowadays.

One story I can tell you about music on the bus:
    Was heading into rehearsal around noontime. A 60+ African-American gentleman, on his way to a manual job in coveralls sees me with my case, and asks the loaded question: I say, yes I am a bass player, but primarily a singer--and he proceeds to tell me about his experience during his twenties when he fronted a vocal group in town, and asks if I like R&B. I reply, "sure", and he kicks off in a gorgeous baritone: "You never close your eyes anymore...". Of course, I reply with "And there's no tenderness, like before...".

Him, "You're trying hard not to show it,"

I kid you not, the rest of the bus chimes in with "BABEEEEEE"

The whole bus sings the rest of the song, including the bus driver on the announcement mic, on the way to downtown Minneapolis. Best impromptu musical moment I've ever had.

Hahaha, S-Bigbottom, Oddly and 6 others like this.
  5. Four band members , four P.U. trucks all with caps. One pulls a trailer with the PA stuff in it. The PA stuff would probably fit in the back of his truck but it would be a pain in the @$$ to load in and out. My 8 10 has lived in the back of my truck for years. (Shameless plug to follow.) My '94 Chevy 1500 currently has about 320,000 miles on it and is still going strong.:thumbsup:

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    We are all responsible for getting ourselves to gigs..

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    We are all responsible for getting ourselves to the gig.

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I live an hour's drive away from the practice room at our drummer/keyboardist/vocalist's house.

I get to gigs and practice in a 2012 KIA Sedona Van just like this one. The middle seats come out and the rear seats fold down inside the van so I can haul lots of gear. Otherwise, it fits 7 people.

kia-sedona-8.jpg

2012-Kia-Sedona-cargo-1.jpg

ThunderFox likes this.
  9. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    It's pretty routine.

2 of 3 bands rehearse in my basement. I have to walk down the stairs to rehearse with those 2 bands and the band members drive themselves. For the 3rd band I drive solo as well as the other guys as they all live different directions.

For gigs, in band 1 the drummer usually picks me up as he takes the drum set that he leaves at my place...sweet deal for me, but of course I help him load his gear. On some gigs we'll drive separately after he gets his kit if we're not leaving at the same time.

For band 2 gigs, the drummer brings his other kit from home but comes by if we need to take our PA. We usually drive solo as he goes straight home after to unload his kit, and he'll bring the PA back the next day (it all fits in his truck).

For band 3 we usually drive solo, but I sometimes have to pick up the guitarist as they only have one vehicle that his wife might need. If I'm lucky, she'll come to the gig later and give him a ride home.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021