How do you approach the bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bewles, Jul 17, 2002.

1. bewles

Jul 17, 2002
    I am getting tired of the routine patterns that I have begun to fall into, mostly based around the blues scales. I need new ways to think about my bass playing outside of the convention. Most of my playing revolves around octaves, whole step hammer on's, etc. What conventions does your bass playing encompass? What scales od you mainly use?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    From the side or rear, and always downwind. ;)

I enjoy playing parts that weren't written for the bass. Doubling the horns on say, a Chicago album, with your bass will have you doing things you never thought of. A lot of people actually recommend learning from trombone books.

Also, when I sit down and create a melody or a line on a keyboard, I play it on bass as well. What's easy on the keys will be difficult and challenging on the bass, usually because I'm using a pattern of playing I'm not used to.

On a different note, I actually asked this same question of Jeff Berlin when he was still with this site. He basically told me to run some different scales, but the more important advice was that there wasn't a whole lot he could tell me over the internet. The same is true for us. If you don't have a teacher, get one. They can give you the direction you need to explore new possibilities. This can only be given through hands-on analysis and teaching.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What Duckman said.

Another nice trick is detune one or more strings up or down a semi or wholetone.

When you now play your licks, they'll sound differently. You can get great ideas from that, especially with slaplicks.
    If you've found some ideas that you like, learn to play them in standard tuning.
  4. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    for the last few years, I have been working on a classical guitar approach to bass. Trying to learn all those chords, and voicings has really opened up a new can of worms for me. I also like writing for different instruments. If you write a tune, try to come up with the melodies, harmonies, rythms, and percussive parts for it. It helps to force you to think, and it can be pretty enlightening. If you rely on pedals (octaves) a lot, try sticking some perfects (4ths, 5ths etc.) where you would normally pedal. That will change the feel up a lot. Just expierement with different notes. Learning your modes will help a lot. We all go through a rut once in a while. Use it to your advantage.