how do you avoid a crappy song?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i really need some advice on this one... the singer in my band has been pushing us to do this song he wrote... and it sucks. i mean, it sucks bad. normally this guy is a great composer, our best songs were all by him, but this thing is embaressing. the real problem is that it's kinda "his band"... which i'm ok with, but he's just got a rotten egg that he keeps trying to serve up.

how the hell do i convince him that this song sucks? and that if we play it live, it will be the "smoke break" song for the audience? that he could of made the song last three minutes instead of twelve and everything would be ok?

it's bad folks. it's really really bad.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Convince him that this is the ideal chord sequence for your bass solo feature - and then go off into a 10-minute random bass solo that has all the weird noises you can think of - then say "there, didn't I tell you - it fits perfectly!!" Get all the other band members in on it - to applaud spontaneously at the climax of your feature!!

That should do it!! :D
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    [David St.Hubbins On]
    3 Crotch Grabs- he wrote this!!
    [David St.Hubbins Off]
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    talk to him about it...and have the other band member's input

5. If everyone else in the band feels the same way than tell him about it. Say hay you put out some good songs before and they were good but this one is not as good. Than give him some exampls of some bands that have really good songs. And than point out some of their bad songs. Try to use his favorite band as example. If that dont work than turn up really loud to dround him out and do ten minute solo:rolleyes: good luck.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why does it suck? Even it it starts off with the fact that you plain don't like it, it will help if you can give some objective reasons to the composer.

Secondly, is it bad all the way through, or does it just need a little surgery to improve it (eg. a couple of sections to be rewritten or whatever). You might be able to build a good song out of it, even if some sections end up being removed (like temporary scaffolding).

Thirdly, how did the song get written? If it came out of the composers personal anguish you probably want to be a little gentler than if it's just another cookie-cutter song he's churned out. That doesn't mean you have to pretend it's good, but don't scorn his experience as you trash the song.

Just a few thoughts...

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    yeah, weird noises are kewl :D
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They're great for emptying a venue!! ;)
  9. Some people may appreciate a "smoke break".
  10. first of all, bruce... back off. you're not funny. you don't know me, or my music. this may be against forum rules, but you're being a jackass.

now, to people with actual responses... thanks. there are a few parts of the song that could work, the problem with trying to cut it up is the vocal package on it. the lyrics are a sung narative... it's kind of a story. he wouldn't stand for chopping it up.

i'm gonna talk to the guitar player this afternoon about it. i'm sure the cellist hates it, cause she has to sing some pretty stupid stuff... i think the other guys like it. it's gonna be like a freaking mutiny to get rid of this turd.
  11. I don't know you or your music either, nor do I know Bruce, but I thought he was funny. I don't think he meant any harm, but he doesn't need me to defend him.
  12. Hey, lighten up man. It was a good joke, and it wasn't even as if you were the butt of the joke, so I can't see why you're complaining. You're just asking to be Lindfielded.

On a related note, that's the second of Bruce's posts today that I've laughed at :eek:. The times, they are a-changin'.....;).
  13. the thing is, bruce and i have been arguing about what is considered "noise"... he seems to be convinced that i sit in my basement banging on my bass with a duck and a delay pedal. he doesn't seem happy letting the arguement die. fine, i like to experiment, he doesn't. i got it. i don't do bass solo's, i'm not merzbow and he doesn't sit on the root note and hide in the shadow. fine. let it go already.

14. Haha... duck... yeah...
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Bruce is being the jackass?? Sounds more like you are taking things WAYYYY too seriously.

I guess I couldn't see much wrong with what he said.
  16. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Did bruce say anything the slightest bit offensive?
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I for one didn't think so.
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

everyone vacate thread now!
  19. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    39 posts and you have already insulted one of the most respected people on Talkbass. Nice work. :rolleyes:
  20. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    This is a bass discussion forum, not band marriage counseling. What else did you expect from such a post other than fellow musicians sharing their experiences, or in the alternative, humor.

So, do you ever use any other sort of water fowl in your basement atonal jazz explorations?:D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.