1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you breathe when you play?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lichtaffen, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I notice that my breathing is uneven and shallow when I'm playing. I know this isn't good. I'm sure many others are guilty of this also. Does anyone know any techniques/exercises to help make your breathing more even and rhythmic? I'll bet if you breathe with the rhythm and tempo, you're sense of time will improve. Haven't been able to implement it yet.

2. Interesting topic- I often catch myself breathing shallow/quickly/holding my breath, and when I consciously relax things get better- I can play a difficult passage, timing improves, etc. I have no specific breathing exercise but it's definitely a potentially easily-overlooked aspect.

3. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i breath just fine. unless something really hard or fast is coming then i seem to hold my breath. i try my hardest not to but it just happens. although i am getting better at not doing it.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I always breath to the music but this comes without really paying attention, especially since I also sing frequently.

5. QPNBASS

QPNBASS Guest

Apr 20, 2010
    I sing a lot of back ups when I play so my breathing usually coincides with the lyrics. Next time I play a solo, I will definitely be more conscious of this.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Depends on the instrument. On sax I can circular breath pretty well so I can often just breath while I play. Whenever I do vocals I breath whenever possible. And when I play bass/guitar I just breath normally unless I`m really rocking out, and then I`m breathing similarly to when I run.

7. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
  8. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I used to find myself holding my breath ( obviously not a good idea ). A couple of years ago I really started focusing on making sure I breath consistently. It's been a rough ride because it takes focus away from what I'm really doing but I figure eventually it will be 2nd nature.

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    breathe with your phrasing!

10. I never pay attention to my breathing. I figure if I do then I'm probably not paying attention to my playing!:eek:

11. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    Via my Gills !!

12. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    never really thought about... don't really care. If I don't pass out while playing then why does it matter?

13. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Heavily, into a phone

14. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    so you're the one who keeps calling and hanging up:mad:

15. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    sometimes i go mouth, sometimes i go nose. depends

16. I actually breath in long breaths through my nose. I also play/record guitar a lot and I have a bad deviated septum and other nose issues . . . I've been told by a few engineers over the years to try and hold my breath when I track acoustic guitar because my nose sometimes whistles and gets picked up by the mic :D kinda embarrassing

17. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Watch ZZ Top's Live from Texas DVD. Those guys look like they're about to go to sleep, but groove like it's nobody's business. 90 lbs and loose as a goose!

18. I've just given you an A in breathing.

Attached Files:

19. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    unless you are singing I dont see why you should worry about breathing, play bass is very straight forward,

20. i breathe normally but my gui**** holds his breath for each bar and does the hole classical sniff with his noes without even knowing