1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you BTB?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rock Silas, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Rock Silas

Rock Silas

Jun 10, 2015
    ok, so I recently purchased one of the Ibanez BTB845SC 5 string basses and like that Hadrien Feraud type tone. For the most part I love it but I like to modify my gear and wanted to hear what some BTB owners may be doing with their instruments? Any preamp/pickup configuration open the tonal floodgates for you?

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    the 5 string Bartolini BH2 pickups on 845SC share the same dimension with the USA Bartolini MK5 pickups and maybe also lots of Bart P2 size pickups from many pickup makers, so this could be the start for you to mod your BTB (actualy you're in luck on this, cause BH2 pickups for 4, 6 and 7 strings have different dimensions which no compatible pickup exists yet).

I keep all my BTBs electronics stock, but I always mod the tuners to Japan Gotoh GB350 Res-O-Lites to cut about 33.33% of each tuner weight off the headstock and swap the strap pins to Dunlop Straploks. So, no tonal change on these mods.

3. Rock Silas

Rock Silas

Jun 10, 2015
    I saw that list in the bart website and the only ones I found available anywhere were the mk5cbc’s. I wonder how they sound compared to the stock non-USA made Bart’s that come in the bass?

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I haven't got or played any of the newer Ibanez with the BH2 pickups. I own a couple equipped with previous BH1 pickups and one (which came with MK1 pickups but I've replaced them) with MK5CBCs.

To my ear, the BH1 are darker sounding pickups than the MK5CBC. But this is not a bad thing... They just have different sounding.

Couldn't comment on the BH2 sound just yet...

5. The BTB is the best thing Ibanez ever created x 1000!! I love the stock pickups, stock preamp and stock everything. I've rarely found a more perfect bass in my lifetime. That said, I had to replace the preamp several years back when a flood in my guitar player's basement annihilated the electonics, so I put in a Bartolini preamp and an active/passive switch with a passive tone and it gets the job done, but I don't like it as much as the original

FYI, everything else on that iron beast survived the flood and I still play it to this day with the stock pickups. The neck didn't even need adjustment after ssitting in water for a couple days. Not a bit of warping or damaged wood on it!