how do you buy just the neck on a geddy lee jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tai, Feb 10, 2005.

1. tai

Feb 10, 2005
    yo yo yo.......i keep lookin on google, but i cant find anywhere that sell just the neck on a geddy lee jazz bass.

im buildin my own bass right now, and i want to put the lee neck on it...that would be frad.

anyone know where i can go to buy one?
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not gonna happen! Fender doesn't sell necks!
  3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, it depends. If you know someone who's an auth'd Fender repair shop who can order replacement parts, MAYBE. Otherwise, yeah, ain't gonna' happen. It's not a standard available part for order/purchase from any Fender dealer.
  4. Fender replacement necks seem to be available for anyone to buy (there's a price list at the site for those who don't believe me), but for bass you can only choose between '57 P, '62 P and '62 J necks. So if you want a Geddy Lee like neck, you probably have to look elsewhere. Unless, perhaps, you flirt a bit with someone at the custom shop.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well let me clarify, I don't think you'll get the neck with a logo on it unless you send in the original with some sort of proof of purchase. IIRC, I read that somewhere. You can get P or J necks from a handful of sources. I doubt they'll let someone put a Fender logo'd neck on a frankenbass!
  6. I think I've seen pictures of frankenbasses with Fender logo'd Fender necks over att the FDP. Not that it actually contradicts what you're saying, but I think you might be wrong again. ;)
    (To straighten things out, someone should make an effort of posting a question about Fender logos on Fender necks at the above mentioned site. Or even write Fender an E-mail. Just don't look at me, I'm a bit too lazy right now.)
  7. I bought a Geddy Lee a couple of years ago and I loved it. So, long story short, I decided to build my own bass -- The 9104 SPIGLET was born -- to my own specs, and one of them being a Geddy neck. Now, from what I figured out, I couldn't order just the neck, so I either had to find a donor GL bass, or try something else. What I ened up doing was ordering a neck from Allparts, or Warmouth, I can't remember now. It is neck similar to the GL, (it doesn't come on a GL bass, so you can't really call it a Geddy neck) maple on maple, binding, and block inlays, and fast like you wouldn't believe. Now I haven't measured the 2 necks, but the differences, if any, would be slight, ie, I can't feel anything different about them. As for a Fender logo? I can't help ya on that one, sorry. But check out any aftermarket place for the neck, they should be able to help you out.
  8. Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    Not to hi-jack the thread, but...
    I'm building, what seems to be the exact bass as you Motorhead Mark. Mine will be flat black though. I dig it.

I put my Allparts neck next to my budddies geddy neck, and I honestly couldn't tell a single difference. The headstock, the finish, everything. I didn't buy the neck from all parts, but from someone on eBay, so im not sure if its new, or old. You might try the all Parts out, and fly with no logo.
  9. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Did the shape of the back feel the same?
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey DWBass
    You do have to show proof that a new neck is needed weather with pics or mailing them the neck in question. Then only then they will replace it with a new neck that say' "Fender Genuine Replacement" on the back of the headstock. Check out the Fender site.
  11. I play a Geddy, and my homemade bass, and I can honestly not tell a difference between the 2 necks. Finish, feel, look, almost identical.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks, pyrohr! I consider you the resident Fender expert here!
  13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    A genuine Geddy neck should have a thinner "C" profile than any of the replacement necks from AllParts, Warmoth, etc... however, the difference may not be drastic enough to be able to tell one over the other.

OTOH, what is it about the Geddy neck that makes it so desirable (aside from binding and blocks)?
  14. As far as I know, the original poster never said he wanted the Fender logo. That would be kind of lame to put that logo on a home-made bass anyway.

Tai, you could order a Warmoth jazz neck with custom inlays and binding.
  15. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    All Parts. I've seen several just like it go for brand new on eBay for $240. Even with Fender decal.
  16. Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    My all parts replacment is exaacty the same width and thickness. The countour is hard to judge, but if its different, its not noticable to me.
  17. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
  18. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Fender decals pop up on eBay now and then, too. (e.g.)
  19. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I was curious about that too.
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, I guess I learn something new everyday! I was under the assumption/impression that Fender had, or attempted, a lockdown on their parts and distribution of their logos!