How do you buy your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphound, May 21, 2007.

1. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Would you rather order custom, order through the internet or just go in and buy one you like if you indeed find it?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Because of the natural variation in the tone of wood, even within the same species, you never know exactly what you're going to get if you order custom or over the 'net. Translation: "identical" basses can sound distinctly different. So, an advantage to trying before you buy is that you pretty much know what you're getting.

That said, I haven't tried before I buyed (sic) since before I switched to five string. I don't mind rolling the dice.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I bought 2 SX's online. It's cheap, so I can't expect much. But I am planning to save up and get a Dingwall and for that I will have to molest every part of the bass before I decide to buy it.

4. It depends on how much I'm spending, and what bass. Something like a Stingray which (from my experience) all sound pretty much the same I would happily buy online. Something like a custom I would want to play first.

5. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    I've bought all of the basses I've owned online. Two were bought after playing them, one was a custom order, and one was bought sight unseen.

I've ended up selling (or trying to sell) three of the four. Two were sold to move to something better, and one is being sold to upgrade.

6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've bought every bass I've owned, save for the first one I ever owned, online without playing one first.

All of them except for the most recent were all used basses, and I sold each one of them for what I payed, if not more. Sans shipping costs I've owned many basses and haven't paid an extra dime for them. I suppose you could consider it a hassle to have to buy, own, sell, and ship so many basses, but it's been a fun adventure having however long I wish to play with a bass, and if I decide it's not for me, I can sell for what I paid and move on to the next one.

To date:

Ibanez EDB605, Warwick Corvette, Peavey Cirrus, Warwick Corvette (again), Warwick Thumb, Pedulla Rapture, Stambaugh Custom, Spector USA Bolt-on, Warwick Corvette Proline, Spector Legend, G&L L-2000, and my two current Spectors.

I just bought a Schecter 004, the only NIB bass I've bought. Also without playing it first.

Aside from being able to sell for what I paid, it's nice to be able to test the bass with my rig in my own time, instead of at a music store with their equipment.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All of the above.

8. First bass, I assembled myself from parts...(haven't seen it in 6 years)...it's still residing in the USA...we will be reunited someday
    2nd bass, I bought in a store...(I sold it)
    3rd bass...bought factory direct (Carvin)...still have
    4th bass...ebay...new...still have
    5th bass...ebay ...used...still have (my favourite bass)
    6th bass...ebay...new...still have

interestingly, the only bass I tried before I bought, I don't have...
    goes against conventional wisdom, doesn't it?

9. meev991

meev991 Guest

Mar 11, 2007
    Just say lots of prayers if you buy online, and hope that it comes to your door in one piece:crying:

My mandolin was damaged when it came in the mail, i've yet to fix it.

....one of the most important things for me, when buying a bass, is how i feel when I think/touch/look at it. If it speaks to me, then I whip out the check book:D

10. JBassJohn

JBassJohn

Jan 18, 2007
    I have to play them first.

11. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Yeah,

The next one I buy will also be through touchin and playing first.

12. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    i've only purhcased one bass off the net and i sold it not to long after i bought it. the whole idea of buying a bass before i can play on it doesn't sit well with me. i have to try before i buy.

13. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Same here, and if that means going across the country to do so...then so be it.

14. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I've ordered new from the internet, bought from ebay and grabbed a couple that took my fancy in shops. I don't really regret any of my buys.

15. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Yes.

I've done all of the above, and had good experiences with all choices.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My preferance is to buy a bass that I've had the oportunity to play first. That said, I have purchased two on line that I'm VERRY happy with.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I buy 'em mostly used because I'm cheap. I've bought a new Rogue and Jay Turser, but both for under $200. Otherwise, I've bought via Ebay and from private sellers.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Out of all the basses I have ever bought, the only 2 that I have bought online will be/were sold. My USA Charvel from eBay was garbage and my SX fretless will be eBayed as soon as soon I have the time to list it.

I will not buy any bass from now on before playing it.

I will likely be buying a boutique 5er in the next few months and I have narrowed it down to F bass, Sadowsky NYC or a Lakland 55-94. I will drive to Hamilton, Ontario (30 min from my office) to try a F and to a local Sadowski/Lakland dealer in Toronto to try the others. I can't imagine dropping $2000-3000+ for a bass without playing it.

19. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Living in the UK, its always a bit cheaper to buy online, so that's where my 3 mains basses came from. If I were ordering a custom built bass like a Benavente or Nordy, I'd have to have a equivalent demo model sent for me to try out before I laid cash out for it.

Something like a Fender Jazz is fine to order online imho, the only problem is if you and the bass don't get along!;)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021