Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you calculate string tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kovachian, Nov 14, 2005.

1. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Pretty simple question eh? Just out of curiosity really. Reason I ask is b/c I scored a 5 string fretless SX recently (1st 5 string for me) and I'm not digging the tension on the B string (original strings so far, not sure what gauge they are). It hardly even resembles a musical note, it just sounds like :spit: PpPpPpPpPpPpPpP :spit: I definitely won't be keeping this bass for long, I think a 35" might be more up my alley but there's none around for me to try out.

Are all 34" 5 stringers like this or is it just my $170 chinese cheapo?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Topic moved to the BG side.

3. Try to raise your action, this could help a bit. I don't know about the string tension, sorry mate.

4. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Oops, I knew this was in the wrong forum soon as I posted it. Anyways I guess there's no real way to figure out tension.

5. Sure there is.

You hook an accurate pull scale to the bridge end of the string, then tune the string to its note, and read the scale.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    What the heck are you going to do with your measurements?

I mean you'll have these figures that translate into....nothing.

If you've got floppy B syndrome, you need to get heavier strings...which you can do by guage.

Or you can find a 35 inch scale bass.

Or you can buy a Dingwall.