1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you celebrate graduation in your country?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blizzard, Aug 8, 2007.

1. This is something I just thought about now. So I thought I would put it to you, How do you celebrate graduation from High School in which ever country you're from?

Over here in Oz grade 12s finish about a month before the rest of the school students and have a week called "Schoolies Week." It consists mainly of all the school students going to a few locations around the country for a week underage drinking and partying. Its pretty much become a right, so much so that the Government here actually organises the week with entertainment, crowd control as well as assistance if you get into trouble (of course they don't really condone the drinking but they do turn a blind eye to the fact that on the first day there are 17 year olds carrying around cartons).

I went last year and it really was crazy, I only drank but there was a heap of my friends on ecstasy and weed. One kid from my school almost died :eek:

So is this just an Aussie thing? Or does every country have something like this?

2. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    A week? :eek:

In the USA it usually lasts all summer. :smug:

3. I didn't really do any celebrating (I saved my drinking muscles for my first year of uni), but, from what I can see, for most kids in the UK nowadays, it seems to involve getting all their mates to write all over their school shirts in felt-tip pen, then go and sit in the park and drink cheap cider and smoke Lambert & Butler (cheap, nasty cigarettes) until someone passes out or the police arrive. :D

4. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    heh or state....hawaii celebrates different from the rest of the USA.

As for my graduation, we finished school a week early, had our ceremony on a friday night, followed by something called 'project grad' which most schools put on I hear, to minimize the drinkin after graduation.

After the ceremony, we all get loaded down by several pounds of flower leis, which end up covering all of the neck and some of the face. Sometimes quite a bit of the face with really popular people.

we do the shirt-writing with felt tip pen here too. And of course signing of yearbooks by as many people as possible that we know/ hang out with.

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Some schools have a senior trip. Sometimes it is affordable, like to a big amusement park like Six Flags. Sometimes it is out of reach, like a trip to Cancun. Depends on the economic demographic of the school's population.

When I graduated, way back in '81, everyone went to dinner with their folks afterward, and then met at the beach for a party. We had beer and barbeque and weed...pretty tame, I guess, compared to what y'all do! But we had a good time.

The following weekend, there were a lot of house parties.

Later in the summer, I went on a chaperoned trip to the interior of Mexico, with some other girls, and had a great time. We explored the rain forest, learned to cook the native dishes, and played acoustics out on the veranda in the evenings, drinking cold beer and smoking the local flavor. $30/person, per night, back then.

Have fun, and be safe!

Cherie :)

6. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Step 1: Acquire parent's sports car

Step 2: Say you are just going to a buddies house for pizza and a glass of champagne, then you are gonna kick it and play x-box so you have energy for your trip to the beach the next day

Step 3. Go to every party you see, drink heavily, hook up with anything in a dress, and drink heavily.

step 4. Go back to friend's house... sleep.... go to beach.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I celebrated the compleation of my Philosophy degree with this 24f5. close24f5. :cool: :bassist:

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    In NJ we braid our underarm hair, glue newspaper to our lower extremeties, and dye the upper extremeties purple, shave all the hair above and around each ear and walk backwards for 3.45 days with arms held high, humming Korn songs.
    It's a beautiful tradition full of grace and elegance. Something everyone should witness at least once in their life.

9. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    We had a grad night (the school's attempt to keep kids from drinking and partying) which was almost like a carnival that lasted all night except colder and more boring 'cause our school has an outside campus and is run by people with no sense of fun. After that I started working so I could pay for college :p

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Drunken orgy.

11. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I went to a friends house, whose parents gave us enough rum to keep us jolly. The next few days I worked and packed. Then about 32 of us and one of our most relaxed teachers took a trip through Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, and Athens. That trip was soooo crazy. I drank every night, and it was legal :). Had the time of my life. The summer has been pretty relaxed since then. Few parties here and there, but mostly taking a well deserved break after 13 years of schooling before getting ready for college.

12. Hmm I like your celebration better. Although I hope to celebrate in a similar manner when I graduate and get a decent job.

13. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    when i graduated high school i pretty much said "see ya later maybe" to my "friends" and went home. then drank too much (by myself) that summer and did nothing...then i got a job...then joined the army...i hate my life.

14. Thats how im planning on graduating with my degree :smug:

In the UK we dont graduate from high school. You now graduate from College, but graduation was more a thing for degrees and above over here.

When we finished high school we had a "muck up" day, where we all ran about vandalising things :) , leaving road kill in lockers, treacle down all the hand rails at the stairs etc etc fun fun :hyper:

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Around here we don't.
    There is no ceremony at schools and while there may be some partying involved, it's only a friend/family thing. Nothing official.