How do you choose?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Heya

I got two excellent instruments in my war-chest, but I notice that lots of Tb'ers have way more than that.

How do you guys choose which instrument to use at a gig? Do you ever feel that you are neglecting one or another? Do you sometimes decide to take one out just because it hasn't had much attention lately?

Don't know about you, but I get guilty when I pay more attention to one bass than the other - go figure! :D

Luckily for me, one's a 4 and t'other a 5, so it makes my decision easier. I think if I had six or seven basses I would spend more time deciding which to take out than actually playing.

What say you? ;)
  2. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    I've got 3 basses yet the choice is easy - one's fretless and the other two fretted basses, one is 35" scale, mahogany body and Bart pups ( my main bass ) and the other is 34" scale with Ibanez pups and ASh body.

They all sound heaps different from each other, so the choice is based on tone/genre.

The latter bass gets played the least and I sometimes feel sorry for it, and take it to a gig without the others just to make it feel special!

3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've got two and I always bring them both. One is a fretless 89 Jazz Standard (heavily modified) and the other is a fretted NS2a. I usually play the fretted if I'm playing rock and the fretless if I'm playing jazz.

I don't play ONLY that way, but mostly that way.

If I get to pick I just play the fretless. But if the band has an input, and they do, the rock people fear the fretless. I don't know why.
  4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    really easily, i play the bass that sounds best for the gig.

it just happends to always be my mia p
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When playing with my buddies in the oldies band, I usually grab my Nordstrand and one of my four bangers, which ever one grabs me that day.

When playing at church, I usually take my Zon, but occasionally will grab my Nordstrand, my Cirrus, or one of my four bangers. I try to make sure they all get to church occasionally.

When playing with Lucid Dreamer, my Nordstrand is a big part of my sound. It always goes. If we are playing one of the songs that I use my twelve for, I will bring it. If the set is more mellow praise & worship stuff, I will bring my Zon. If it is a more rock oriented set, I will bring my Lakland.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I own 20 basses, and I take the same Fender Jazz that I have been gigging with for over 20 years. That's my "sound". For backup I usually take my Precision Elite or one of my 5-string basses. I take my William Lewis & Son double bass for the jobs that call for it. I keep several basses at a friend's studio. The others don't get played very often.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    For me-it's an easy choice-99.99999999999% of the time it's my Ray5. That [w/exception of my upright] is the highest quality level of bass i own. I feel that the StingRay5 is as close to as i can get to the sound that is in my head the given time.

That's all
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Never getting (or keeping) anything too redundant. Two five strings with active electronics and a couple of soapbar pickups? One goes.

Two four strings with an MM style electronic package? One goes.

And so on. I don't see the purpose of having 15 basses, if 10 of them are Jazz basses. Others will disagree, I'm sure, but that's my policy on gear.
  9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Honestly, the Bongo always comes with me. My other basses are usually just mood swings when I'm mad at the Bongo for one reason or another.
  10. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Back when gigging a bunch, I kept two "good" basses (Either a pair of MIA Fenders or German Warwicks) for the climate controlled gigs and a pair of low end basses (usually funky pawn shop fodder that caught my eye) for outdoor gigs or bars where theft or rowdy customers would be an issue.

As goofy as it sounds, yes, I did take some on gigs just because they hadn't been out in public in a while (had an odd 60's Japanese Fender-like bass that went out WAY more than its tone would justify, just 'cause I liked its vibe with a couple of particular bands).

Now that I gig less, I follow the path of a number of our brethren above-- I have a few basses that serve specific purposes and no duplicates.
  11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    its easy for me, i only have two.

when i gig with my band, i use both. i keep one at Drop-D tuning and the other at standard.