Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you clean a dirty gig bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I have a trusty Undercover two bass gig bag that could use a good cleaning. Has anyone had their gig bag professionally cleaned? Machine washed? I need real suggestions, i.e. things that have ACTUALLY been done that turned out good. :D

2. Hm... when you say "good cleaning," do you mean that it is just saturated with grime? Or does it just smell bad?

I usually use Febreze after every gig/jam/smoke ensconced recording session on my gigbags and let them just hang for a while. Empty, of course.

If you need to literally wash it though, you might want to not machine wash it, as the zippers, velcro and so on could deteriorate from the process.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    It's dirty, not smelly.

4. I made the mistake of putting mine in the washing machine.

There's now a tear at the bottom, and one of the hand straps broke off. The thing was totally twisted around the centre of the machine by the shoulder straps. I think it may have shrunk a bit too.

It's clean though.

5. You should check with a manufacturer. I'll bet if you go to the website for the Brand you have, they'd have a "contact us" link.

I would guess that most of those, (I don't have one presently, but have one on the way with a new bass), are "surface wash" only with damp cloth, etc. Maybe taking it to a professional cleaners...

Email the manufacturer. Let us know if you get a reply; I'd be interested to know how to clean mine when it needs it in the future.

Oh! I found the site, and email;
    http://www.undercovercases.com/default.asp (under construction...)
    Email address is info1@undercovercases.com
    Give it a shot!

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I did mine once with the hand-held nozzle of a home carpet cleaning machine, it sprays water out and sucks it up immediately. I didn't use any chemicals or cleaners, just water and it worked fine.

7. I imagine it could be dry cleaned?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Soap, warm water and a scrub-brush perhaps?

9. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I haven't ever washed a gig bag, but I have washed backpacks, which are somewhat similar in design and construction if you think about it. However, I don't have an ordinary top-load washing machine. Mine is the Maytag Neptune that is a front loader. There isn't an agitator, which can cause rips and tears as described above.

Here's a possible suggestion if the gig bag is indeed machine washable. Go to your local laundramat and find one of those really giant front-loading washing machines. I've seen women put whole comforters in these before. They wash by tumble action and don't have the agitator inside. Wash it with a little soap in cold water. After the cycle, don't put it in the dryer. Allow it to drip-dry over your bathtub or in your garage or patio. I wouldn't recommend drying it out in the sun because that can lead to fading.

Good luck man!

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    This sounds like a good idea.

I've sent Undercover cases an email asking what their recommendation is. Stay tuned...

11. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Yes I know this is a zombie thread but I have the same undercover double gig bag it is dirty and it stinks. Hate damn tobacco!

The company is long gone but my bag lives on anybody have any new ideas for cleaning?

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
    This lady used Carpet Fresh & dish detergent.

13. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks saw that but I can't imagine it will get the stink out and my gig bag has a lot of layers.

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Definitely contact the manufacturer. Like basses (and bassists) not every gig bag is created equal. You don't know if the component is machine washable.

ak56 likes this.
  15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "The company is long gone but my bag lives on"

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Probably safer drycleaning - find out what they would charge.

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    ^ good idea man

18. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have two of the bags you mentioned, the undercover double bag. these are the best bass bags i've ever used. worth cleaning over buying a new bag from another company.

19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What about using a nozzle hose at a car wash? Obviously without their soap or wax. Just power blast the dirt out.

20. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Endorsing Artist: Tecamp Bass Players Gear, Bartolini Emerging Artist
    I recently had a flood and this salvage co came in and said they could clean two of my gig bags. I haven't inspected them yet so yes it can be done.