How do you clean your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Masamax, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Boiling

17 vote(s)
  2. Alcohol

11 vote(s)
  3. Other

11 vote(s)
  4. I am not too poor to buy new strings like you, LOSER!

19 vote(s)
  1. I put them in a tub of isopropyl alcohol (99%) for a few days. Sound like new, and no stress.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never tried to clean a set of string in my 11 years playing. I just leave them on until I don't like the way they sound of one of them breaks (must be on the bass for at least a month or I'll just replace the one string).
  3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    GHS Fast Fret before and after playing. Helps
    prolong string tone considerably, plus you don't
    have to remove the strings from your bass, which
    means you won't be stretching your strings.
    Detuning a string and then bringing it back
    up to pitch is the worst thing that can be
    done to a string.
  4. GHS Fast Fret works for me too.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont really clean them/ Occasionally ill just wipe em down with a wet rag.
  6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I voted other. I usually wipe them with a good polish cloth before and after playing, does the job well.
  7. I do the same and I also purchase strings by the case, so I always have a new set when they lose their tone!

;) Treena
  8. Why is that? Does it affect the sound? :confused:
  9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I think doing that loses the brightness of the strings. I've never actually done that before but stretching a string, detuning it again and then stretching it back again, the strings are bound to lose its tone. I'm just speculating though.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Except I do it just over night.
  11. Hey, never hurts to be safe. Not like I am gonna be using them any time soon anyways. ;)
  12. zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    Can I put the strings in ethanol? and If I do it overnight , what should I do to the neck? its not good to a neck being without strings...:cool:
  13. I have 2 sets of EB 5 strings that I rotate on and off my SR5. I take one off, string the other, and ussually right after that put the dirty ones in the alcohol. I don't think there should be any problem with ethanol, however you have to remember that it has to be the highest percentage of alcohol you can get. Water+metal=rust. I just use Isopropyl cause it's the first one I found.
  14. zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    ok , tkx m8 :cool: :bassist:
  15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
  16. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA

I boil my strings. Put them in water, add dish washing liquid and let boil for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Drawback: Some strings tend to break.

My schedule is about 4 month on a fresh string, cleaning with Fast Frest occasionally.

After boiling I have another month.

17. Thanks slugworth! :) Scientist or not, you obviously know more about than me. I'll keep it in mind as long as my wallet allows it :D
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll second that!
  19. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I never have strings around long enough to need to clean em :D . They always break.
  20. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003

I had done it becuase there had to be a truss rod adjustment. I turned it slowly up making sure winds were going down, and i hear a crack and i twist it a bit more and it snaped all of the way off. Ah well, it was on my 20 year old bass with 20 year old strings- i think it was in need of some TLC