1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you clean your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Masamax, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Boiling

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. Alcohol

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Other

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. I am not too poor to buy new strings like you, LOSER!

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  1. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003

i think youre playing too hard! take it easy ;)

2. ogwa

ogwa

Jan 11, 2003
    I've had lengthy chats about fast fret with a luthier friend of mine;

He said the stuff is very bad for fingerboards, + somehow rots them. As he'd just made me a fretless, I was inclined to take his advice.

take caution putting stuff on your strings.

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    A friend of mine has been applying fast fret on his strings for a few years now and the last time I saw his BB1500A, it had these greyish white stains on the fretboard. He told me that he had tried everything to get them off but he couldn't.

4. I never clean my strings. But I do make sure to wash my hands before playing or practicing.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've never cleaned a set of strings in my 3.5 years of playing. I've never broken a string either. I just usually play dead strings until I get a wild hair to get the zing back. I'm thinking that tomorow I may clean my string by soaking in alcohol for the first time ever. I don't think I'll ever boil any strings, unless somebody that I really don't like is coming over for tea. ;)

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I believe it has something to do with the core. When it gets twisted it sounds like your playing an old donkey. I did this once with a 20 year old string. I then tuned it back up and ping snap crach bang wallop. String breaking sound everywhere, so i just said oh what the heck i deserve some strings that arent older than me!

7. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Same here. I always hate it when these guys on their gigs take a break, go eat some pizza and popcorn, maybe wipe their hands on a napkin and go back up there and play their bass. Personally, I can't stand getting grease and dirt on my strings.

8. I keep my hands clean and my bass clean. I don't sweat profusely. I buy good quality flatwounds and leave them on for years and years, and have never broken a bass string. Oh well, i'm weird.

I agree with the philosophy that it's not really a good thing to detune a string, take it off, then tune it back later.

9. It's funny. I asked D'addario if it would hurt the string to be removed and put back on, and they said it would be ok for a couple of times. The construction of the string shouldn't be affected by this and neither should tone. I then took of my 2 week old XL's to a/b them with DR Sunbeams. When I put the XL's back on (they had been stored in alcohol in the meantime) the b, e and a strings were almost completely dead! The DR's on the other hand seems to be unafected by this procedure (I've done it lots of times with up 1½ year old strings). And mind you that the DR's I use is roundcores, which in theory should be the most fragile as to the wrap slipping from the core goes. I some strings can take being removed, and some can't.

10. i agree w/ stingraymund,keep your hands clean. i use flatwounds that don't grab the dirt like roundwounds
    i wipe them off occasionally (like once a year maybe) w/
    a dry rag

11. Maybe I'm one of the fortunate few, but for some reason, my skin oils don't kill strings! I can leave a set on for a year, with heavey playing even and they'll be nearly as bright as the day i first strung them. Sadly, my neighbor has the opposite problem as I found out when I let him borrow my bass a few months back... after one night of him playing it, my strings were DEAD.

I have also heard that boiling strings may cause some rust since it involves water. A freind told me that to avoid this you can bake them in the oven and them beat them on the floor and it does the same thing.

12. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I boil them right on the stove. It's always worked for me. Really cleans up the sound too. :bassist:

13. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I use a 35" piece of 1" i.d. pvc pipe. Capped off on one end and screw capped on the other..filled with alcohol. shake it and let it sit for 1-2 hrs. shake and dry.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021