How do You Compensate for the Difference in Length Between Your Index and Middle..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jebis, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    This is kind of an odd question, but I was just curious as to how everyone postions their hands since there is a difference in length between the middle and index fingers. I have slighty more bend in my middle finger and my right hand is positioned at almost ninety degrees.
  2. I keep my hand perpendicular to the strings (or as close to 90 degrees as I can get. :D), and just let my fingers go. My middle finger is about 5mm longer than my index, so I'm assuming when I play that my middle finger sticks out 5mm below the string more than my index finger...
    it's not one of those things I tend to think about, and those are the hardest kinds of questions to answer. :D
  3. i tend to play with my first and second to last fingers. i have big hands so the stretch is fairly easy. although its a bad habit i have got into because my little finger is so used to not being used, it actually hurts to bring it round and place it on the fret board.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Which hand are you refering to?

I tilt my right (picking) hand slightly to the left so it compensates, it's natural anyway since your arm comes from the right and try to keep your wrist fairly straight.

On the fretting hand there's really no need to compensate - you place you fingertips on the string and the finger just bends accordingly...
  5. your supposed to compensate?
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Same as JMX, I tilt my picking hand a little bit to the left (I'm right handed) to compensate.
  7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Gruffpuppy, didn't your mommy tell you not to make fun of outlanders who're trying to cope with a foreign language?

Go wash your mouth with soap :D
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    on my plucking had, i pluck with my middle finger slightly bent and my index and ring straight. they all line up that way.
  9. Carlos R

Carlos R

Nov 10, 2000
    Yeah, like the other posts say -- tilt your plucking hand to get them the same length.

Then I use pedalling to learn how to balance out the tone between the two fingers. My index is more coordinated and stronger; my middle is kind of stiff, and it makes a softer sound (more flesh, I guess).
  10. homer on:
    mmm! Irish Spring!
    homer off:

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  12. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    One other thing I noticed is that I have to keep the middle fingernail trimmed closer to compensate for the difference in the 'attack angle' to avoid the pick-like sounds coming from half the notes.