How do you connect your Sansamp BDDI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Dec 3, 2002.

1. BDDI -> Instrument input jack

13 vote(s)
  2. BDDI -> Effects return jack

6 vote(s)
  3. Effects send -> BDDI -> Effects return

5 vote(s)
  4. Other???

1 vote(s)
  1. I read the manual and decided to check this thing out. The salesperson recommended that I use it as a pre-amp and plug it into the effects return. It was silent and that was good.

It sounded much more articulate when plugged into the instrument input. However, it was accompanied by an audible hum. I guess this is the "low noise" that was mentioned in the manual.

Did a search, and there was another configuration - use it as an effect in the effect loop.

How do you connect your BDDI? What produces the best results?
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    When I first got it, I used to run into the instrument input jack on the head. Now, I always run it directly into the return jack, and that has produced the best results for me. I think this allows the tube sim qualities of the unit to really shine through with minimal coloration from the amp itself. This way, I'm just utilizing the power section of the head, with the BDDI serving as the pre in this case. Tweak the EQ a tad, dial in a bit of Drive to taste, and you can get some good sound from that little box.

The other cool thing is I can simultaneously run XLR out to the board, utilizing the PA system as well. I was considering going with this setup for a gig this Saturday night, but I still haven't decided. I'm torn between travelling light with the BDDI, and getting 'my' sound by bringing my rack and XLT's. I like the idea of having an easy load in/out, so at least the BDDI allows for that option should I decide to go that route. The rack and XLT's on the other hand are quite heavy, and we're playing upstairs at this particular club. Still, that's the rig I would really like to have with me.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    All of the above, at one time or the other. At the moment in the amp effects loop, between the bass and the PA mixer, or between the bass and the harddisk recorder.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Either into a preamp or straight into a power amp.
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i put mine at teh end of my effects chain. it sounds real good. i get a tad bit of hiss from it, but i think thats because of the blend. so i use a noise gate as well.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Generally, just into the instrument input on the amp. That way I can use the tone shaping of the SABDDI and the pre-amp in my Ashdown head.

My reasoning is that it would seem a shame to plug straight into the FX return and have the preamp section of the Ashdown head sitting unused - if I was going to do that, I could probably have saved money by getting a plain power amp instead of the Mag-250.

On the other hand, plugging into the FX loop on the Ashdown would be an extra lead to plug in... a minor inconvience, but I'm always thinking of the amount of weight I'm lugging around and how much 'failure-proofing' I've allowed (if something breaks, that's another lead that might be at fault, plus I've got to make sure I've got another spare to hand!).

Unlike Seamus, I like the sounds I can get from running through the two preamp stages - although if I'm also using the DI feed to the PA I know that will only be affected by the Sansamp stage.

The bottom line is try all three and see what works to your taste - if you then switch to a different amp, repeat the experiement.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use it as my main preamp.
    So, it's between my effects and my active cabs.