1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you cope with anxiety ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 12, 2010.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I find myself digging in really hard playing bass or going for a long walk with loud music playing in my ears. How do you cope with anxiety ?

2. I need to disconnect from whatever is causing the anxiety.

Usually takes the form of me going to the gym for a couple of hours and obliterating myself.

3. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    deep breathing

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Bit of whiskey on the rocks before bed.

5. In ways that would get me banned if I told you.

6. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Oct 29, 2009
    Canada
    Accupressure. It works wonders.

7. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Not well.

8. As some of you may remember I posted a thread a long time ago about my own personal anxiety "battle". Well things are going a lot better, I've been seeing a homoeopath and it's working really well; I've been able to do things that before I would've run a mile from.

Apart from the homoeopathy and steady breathing the biggest thing I've found that has helped is to do the things that make me feel anxious. I know, I know that sounds like a terrible prospect for anyone suffering from anxiety but it really does work. Start of little and build it up, lets say you feel so anxious you can't even get on a train or a bus, start off by just looking at the timetable online and seeing how long you'd be on the train for. Then you could go to the station and wait for the thing to get there but you don't have to get on, just wait for it to come and go. When you are used to doing that you could get on and get off at the very next stop. If you are ok with that try travelling a bit further.
    Build it up slowly, wait for yourself to get comfortable or at the very least wait till you can 'cope' with each situation before you move on to something bigger.

As for one-off things where you don't have much time to prepare I've not found anything that lets me get rid of my anxiety but I find that once I am doing it I generally calm down and it is just the getting there that is the trouble.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Avoid my family. Not a joke, my family stresses me out like nothing else. Talking about my parents here, don't have kids. Prolly a good thing.

10. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Thrash around in my sleep.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I fidget. A lot. It helps.

12. Beer.

Play really loud music. Very loudly.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I get myself a glass of rum and sit on the couch. My dog jumps into my lap and starts licking my head. My wife comes home and gives me a sympathetic ear. Repeat as necessary.

14. jokn388

jokn388

Apr 11, 2007
    I exercise to leave me in a state of utter relaxation. I will exercise harder depending on how much anxiety I have. Endorphins work wonders, and exercising is a healthy release.

I was consistently having panic attacks a few months ago. For those I made a "panic attack" mix comprised of mostly Animal Collective. That got me through some tough times

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Loud music, alcohol, some green, a bit of wankin', long walks when it's beautiful outside.

They all put me at peace.

16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    -Exercise
    -Exercise
    -Breathing
    -Beer

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Anything that forces me to focus elsewhere - music, hard exercise, sex...

18. Quoted for truth...

I'm not going to act like I'm some tortured, misunderstood soul who is constantly battling clinical depression but when I do have these kinds of issues I don't handle it well. I tend to hyper focus and dwell and it gets worse. I make a playlist that reflects what I'm feeling and it all just compounds and magnifies. My release used to be with a chick. My wife kinda took issue with that though, lol... Wasn't sexual but I suppose we were closer, as friends, than was healthy. May have ended up sexual. Not good, seeing as how I adore my wife. She was right, I was wrong, but that was a pretty serious source of anxiety for quite awhile in itself and I'm not sure I've figured out how to cope since then.

19. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I clear my head with either exercise or Guinness, depending on the time or situation.

20. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Bob Marley