1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you cope with G.A.S.??? IT'S KILLING ME!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by T.O.Bass, Sep 22, 2008.

1. I can't help it. It gnaws at me. It's my shadow; it follows me EVERYWHERE. I simply cannot stop thinking about my next purchase. I have recently become flat-out obsessed with theremins. They're amazing. But even the $425 for a Moog Etherwave is just not an option right now, not because I don't have a decent income, but because I'm already on the hook for a $2800 amp/cab setup and a $4400 custom bass. Not to mention I have this year's university classes to pay for. Arggghhhh. I can't take it. Sure, I could buy the Moog, but thats just another five bills out of my pocket!

How do you do it? How do you manage to keep yourself from spending every spare penny on gear? It's all I think about - what I want to buy next. Will there ever be an end to this???

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It's easy.... get married, have two kids, buy a house, and play bass for a living. That's what I do, and I'm so broke, I can't even look at a music store. :eek:

Well, not broke exactly, but my extra bucks ain't going towards more gear.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Save your money.
    Deal with the pain.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    The answer is obvious, but telling you to stop reading about gear on Talkbass would probably get me banned. :D

5. jdb

jdb

Jun 18, 2007
    probably on the road
    endorsing artist: ampeg, dimarzio, dean markley, jim dunlop
    i made a deal with myself that i would ONLY purchase gear with money i made from performing... so, not including the original sears bass guitar and sunn amp that my mom bought me (well, that and the rick 4000 i got for my birthday), i have to make gear money by using the gear i have.

6. I like this idea, but since I'm not gigging right now, I'll alter it slightly: I will only buy new gear with money I make from gigging OR from selling old gear. I have an old doublebass I think I could turn ino a theremin pretty quickly.

*edit* _into_ a theremin. Man, I need a coffee.

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    That is what I try to do. Only buy stuff when I sell other stuff or supplement it with gig money or money I make with a side business. I won't spend my normal income in most cases.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Buy something. Something bitchen.

9. DONE!!!

I sold my old, beat up DB to a rockabilly player, great guy. I took the money to Moog Audio, and walked out with a brand spakin' new Etherwave Theremin, and still had a few hundred bones left over.

Let me just say: I love G.A.S. and I LOVE Theremins! :hyper:

It sounds kinda like this: eeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Pretty much sums it up.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, I bought a Sadowsky and that has pretty much killed GAS for a new bass for the last 4 years

I bought a couple of Bergantino cabs and that has killed my cab GAS for the last 2 or 3 years.

I think the Avalon U5 I just got may kill my preamp GAS.

I think, I may be done and it only took 49 years.:D

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Let me know how you like that Theremin. I'm gassing for it myself.

13. All I say say is HOLY ****

It's both the most enthralling and daunting instrument I have ever come into contact with (ok, not really come into contact... its a theremin) and I absolutely love it. I've had it for 24 hours and I'm starting to get down arpeggios and major scales. What a way to train your ear! I alternate between playing the notes on piano then on the theremin, back and forth. There is NO room for error, whatsoever - the slightest movement (a hair's breadth!) will change your pitch.

For kicks I also ran it through a phaser and overdrive. FUN!

I believe I've found something that may rival my interest in bass. Shhh. :ninja:

Simply put: DEFINITELY worth the $480 (after taxes). Yep, they're cheap too!

14. 49 years of G.A.S.... you think you can handle the next 49 without ever G.A.S.ing again?!? :p

15. Blown Cone

Blown Cone

May 14, 2008
    Vancouver
    To me the best is seeing someone with cheap gear, but who can use it, and blow you away with it.

16. jdb

jdb

Jun 18, 2007
    probably on the road
    endorsing artist: ampeg, dimarzio, dean markley, jim dunlop
    +1

17. This forum is a GAS machine, before I signed up here, I was of the opinion "I have one bass I do not need more", now a lil more than half a year has passed, I have 4 basses (and a fifth I have long time borrowed from a friend who quit playing), two of them are building/restoration projects where I constantly find new items needed for them... Oh, and I have bought a dremel too, and lots of other tools ...

But it's nice to have some real hobbies at last!!

:)

D.Don