1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you cope with not being to test gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kgoodrich, Sep 5, 2008.

1. My local GC is not the largest I've ever been in and there is actually a local music store that is the same size as my local GC.

Here is my dilemma; I am in the market for a new Amp rig. just a head and cab as anything rack would make my head explode.

They have the Ampeg I want to buy (SVT-810)

but....

I want to try out a Markbass CL108 and a Avatar B410 Neo but I cannot find anywhere to try these out.

What do you guys do when you cannot access the gear you wish to buy? Do you just take the plunge and buy it?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Buy it from an online place with a good return policy. That way you use the head for a few weeks, decide if you like it, and send it back if you don't. Sure you have to pay for shipping, but think of it as a very reasonable rental fee.

3. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Ditto. Especially since most stores now consider ordering anything they do not have in stock as a 'special order' and want the funds up front and might charge you a 'restocking fee' if you do not like it. With the online venders you are only out shipping...which can suck for those cabs you have listed. It might be worth a drive if you have other vendors in the area..only GCs will have markbass I think. :ninja:

Good luck, I have plunged, but after much research and youtube clips and what not, it still is a leap of faith regardless.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, a solid return policy is your best friend. Even if you have to pay for return shipping, just compare the $12 or whatever it would be in gas to drive to a GC in some other state that DID have the gear you want to buy.

5. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Buy it used....test in all environments...sell it for a bit less if it doesn't work out, and consider any small loss a rental fee.

6. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I take a chance, because a) its only money, and b) you're here for a good time, not a long time. If you buy something and don't like it, there's always eBay or the classifieds here at TB.

7. bakeronbass

bakeronbass

Apr 3, 2007
    Humboldt Ca
    Endorsing Artist; Schroeder Cabinets
    Good advice
    :bassist:

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The GC out here is a joke and there are only a few bassist I've seen live who even use decent equipment.

I do a lot of research before making a purchase. I think I read every review online about the Mesa 400/400+ before buying mine on ebay. I've gone through quite a few cabs (bought and sold) before finding the ultimate setup. I havent had huge risks, as my purchases were generally upgrades.

These days the stuff I am interested in is so expensive I'd have to sell off my current stuff to try it out- not worth the trouble for me to try blindly.

I dont think you'll be disappointed with the 8x10. The Avatar will be fairly similar, but not as Ampeg-y.

9. Regarding what you want, the Ampeg 810 has a long history, so you can't go wrong there (VietnAmpeg vs USA notwithstanding).

Avatar is a TB forum favorite for 'bang for your buck' cabinets. Great CS and good return policy. I bought a 210, 2 years ago and a 112 recently from here, used and still have the 210 and sold the 112 to my best friend who is digging it now.

Despite all the love Markbass gear gets everywhere, IMHO, it's still gear you have to try for yourself to decide if it's right for you.

+1 to online shopping with good return policies, buying used and reselling.

Just about every online retailer has a decent return policy these days.

Personally, I only own 2 things that I bought brand new from a store (bass and amp). Other gear, I've plunged but not without extensive research (bass, amp, cabs). Plus I bought used here or other similar used gear sites. I've also resold gear here and other sites too.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Living in New Zealand,and having to import gear or at best travel 400ks to find a dealer that might stock the more esoteric gear, I must confess that I have been depending 100% on this forum to guide me in my purchases. So far it has not let me down, having recently bought a Mesa 400+, Markbass SA450 and Bergie NV610 all sight unseen and unheard. Not optimal, but if you follow this forum long enough, search the threads, learn to read between the lines and find which credible posters think like you it seems to work.

11. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I've never been able to try anything ampwise, so a lot of careful research before placing an order is necessary. Buying from overseas most of the time, return policies don't matter much either.

So far I've been happy with my purchases though. :)