How do you customize a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_kev, Feb 5, 2004.

1. the_kev

Sep 5, 2003
    I'm thinking about customising my bass to change the sound of it, the only thing i really can do is de-fret it, but i don't want to do that because i like the fretted sound and i alreadly have a fretless. What kind of stuff could i do? :confused: :help: :confused:
  2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    First, What kind of bass is it? brand, etc.

From there we can recommend different pick-ups, better bridge and tuners. We will know if there is a possibility of putting a pre amp in, or changing the one that may be in there. The neck can be changed, there are several companies which offer after market necks for basses such as Fender.

Also there will probably be someone here who has the same bass and has done some mods on it.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What kind of sound do you want to achieve? Even if the bass is just a learning aid to experiment on, you need some kind of goal. If it's an instrument you use a lot, your best bet might be looking to do a swap or part exchange to get a new sound rather than hacking it around (which might be highly successful or might completely ruin it).

You could also think about getting some kind of FX pedal setup - leaving the bass as it is but getting a whole selection of new sounds.

4. the_kev

Sep 5, 2003
    It's headless, so knowing the brand can be a problem anyway, but i think it's a hohner, though i can't find any pictures of it on the hohner site. It has hohner Jazz bass style pickups, and i'd like to make it sound like a marcus miller bass