How do you customize the XP start menu?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Does anyone know how to customize the start menu for Windows XP? I finally caved in and got a copy.

I put my old MS Office on it but I can't stick all of the start menu icons into one folder. I like to keep my start menu neat.

Whoever said that XP went Fisher-Price is so true...the interface is insulting. Aren't you suppose to ADD features in new versions rather than taking away the practical ones?
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I dunno, I think its a nice change from the standard grey.:)

At any rate, to customize your start menu, right click and select "Explore all Users." That is how you change the structure of the menu. To change the appearance, right click and select "Properties;" you can even select the plain old Start Menu, along with many other options. Hope I was of some help!
  3. Ah ha! In your face, Bill Gates.

Thanks a bunch. It worked.
  4. b.t.w. you DO know that you can apply your own, home-brewn themes to the interface, right ?
  5. Actually, I don't. However, my main concern was getting things organized.

If I needed to make a theme, I suppose I would look up "theme" in the help menu, right?
  6. Since we're on the topic of XP, how the hell do I turn off the little popups that come out of my taskbar and say stuff like "Wanna download high quality digital music? Click here to find out more!"

I really hate that.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. Finally! Oh JMX I'd kiss you if you weren't on the otherside of the globe!

Well maybe I'd just give you a handshake...
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No problem pal. :)

TweakUI is a must-have, you can do some useful things with it.

If you want a more powerful tool, get X-Setup

But it's a dangerous tool in the hands of beginners.