1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do you date a squire 2 p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaz21387, Apr 16, 2010.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I googled it and found this bass came out in the late 80s to early 90s. I found it at guitar center for 80$. played it and fell in love with it. I love the look of the p bass with no pickguard. i have never seen that on a squire before. and the color is like a off white maybe due to age? but it has some sparkles in it or it seems like it does. is there a site where you can type in the serial and it will tell you the year it was made or what? the serial is s943300

2. What happened to the headstock?
    That's bizarre.

Still, for $80 if it sounds and plays good...

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    First, I would ask it if it's a MIA model, then offer to buy it a drink.

4. flowers, maybe chocolate...Definately reservations at a fine restaurant....:bag:

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Come on-- it's only a Squier!
    Dinner at Burger King, then back to your place to watch some wrestling on your old black & white TV and pass a 16-oz. can of Colt 45 back and forth.

(Sorry, OP, just having a little fun. Squiers can be great.)

6. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I think that’s still going way to far I’d say just give it 50 bucks, ware some gloves, do your thing and leave.
    Oh hey or you could check the neck pocket for a date.:D

7. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
  8. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    holy missing headstock batman!

sorry, didnt mean to diss your date.
    im sure she is pretty on the inside.

i bought my squier II awhile back, serial i think started with a different letter though.
    mine is a 1989. seen a lot of squier IIs, all without a pickguard. mine however has one. havent seen one like mine.
    it has a black PG now though.
    2wm2qg0.

if you email fender support they can date it back. or:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#Korean_Squiers
    yours is a 1989 as well.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    haha i guess i worded that wrong so i deserve the jokes. but the wierd headstock shape is wierd. but it sounds great i cant find anything wrong with it for 80$

10. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i paid about $130 for mine. but again, havent seen one like it.
    seen a few like yours however.
    nice basses.
    the necks are to die for, probably one of the most comfortable pbass necks ive played.
    i have two MIK squiers, one being that squier II.

yeah, that headstock isnt stock, someone or something ate it.
    unless you have something super rare! :rollno:
    but congrats on the toy, i think youll grow to love it.

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    dont the first two digits of the serial number give the year?

so would S9 mean 1979?

12. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    For a Fender yes, for a Squier, nope. Similar but different numbering and dating systems, just to try to make it interesting. ;)

I believe the "S" in a Squier serial number meant that it was made in the Samick plant.

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
  14. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    so after having hours to mess with the bass today. I noticed that on the headstock where part is missing its also missing gloss finnish so im guessing someone sanded it down. I dont really mind that. one of the tuners is rounded at the top so im guessing that got replaced because it was broken. the tone pot crackles alittle but thats an easy fix too. The tone is great, its just that perfect grindy p bass sound... although its alittle too bright. a set of flats should fix that. Im very happy with it and it was well worth 80$

15. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    Absolutely! I picked mine up for $100. I've only replaced the pickups with 1/4 Pounders.
    Gord_oh, is yours a slab body and is it routed out under the pickguard? I was wondering because once of my Squier II's is from Samick and its the Slab body/ Lic Schaller tuners and the other one is a Young Chang (E serial) and it has the smaller tuners and contoured but I wasnt sure the body was original.

16. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i believe it has contours, and isnt open routed. just the control cavity and wire routed to the pups.

i was in there about two weeks ago talking with them about my squier II. they got that a few days later.
    identical to mine. but i think mine is in a bit better shape. maybe if its still there when i go back ill pick it up and fix it.

17. subopposite

subopposite

Jul 23, 2008
    Vermont
    buy it flowers and listen to her.

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yay! My old thread!

Well, I got a hold of one shortly after that thread posting. Here she is now.

squierIIweb.

It's a shame that headstock got so messed up on that one you have there - the necks on these play beautifully.

The year of yours is about an 88-89

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Sig-worthy