How do you deal with drunks?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 21, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was wondering how everyone deals with the drunks that you encounter at gigs. On one point, you don't want to be rude, but on the other hand, they can be very annoying. Especially the ones that will sit and ramble.
  2. I do not ramble. :rolleyes:

- Dave
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Treat them like a customer; deal with the obvious bs and ignore the rest; develope a phony smile; learn how to say "I heard that" in different ways
  4. not quite the same, but your post reminded me of this...

my freshman year in high school, marching band... a drunk guy starts yelling at us in the middle of a parade. everyone ignores him. he throws a bottle. nails one of the drummers in the back. the drummer sets down his gear, calmly walks over to the sidewalk, and beats the living piss out of the guy with his drumsticks.

that's one way to deal with a drunk.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm guilty of being that drunk guy that comes up to the band between sets and annoys them with stuff like..."you guys f*$&in' rawk!!!" But most bands like the appreciation since gigs can leave you feeling very under-appreciated. I just want to apologize for having bad breath...sorry guys!
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Oh, jeez, I've got to get up there and reset my compressor ... be right back."
  7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What really annoys me are people (at almost every gig) who come up and talk directly to someone that is singing.
  8. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    We had a couple last saturday. One came too close to my stuff so i pushed him away, the other one tried to take the mike but we've got a very big singer so that didn't really happen :D . i rather not play that close to the crowd anymore. luckily, next gigs are all small podium. those stupid assholes don't know how much it all costs and they don't care. i'd never do crazy **** like that.

i say 'kill em all'
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Here's what I do:

Drunk: blah,blah, blah, blah.......
    Me: I hear ya, hey I'd like to introduce you to the guitar player

Once I introduce him to the guitarist, I slink away.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've always had a mic in front of me, so embarrassing drunks is quite easy.
  11. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Practice the art of smiling and nodding.

It also comes in handy when dealing with lead guitarists and singers. :D
  12. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah, I always say I have to ask the other guys in the band something. But I'll talk to them for a minute or two to be nice. But yeah, the talking to you while you're trying to sing is real annoying. I just ignore them, pretend I don't see them while I"m on stage.
  13. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    That sure beats the heck out of "Skynard, play some Skynard" and then later, "you're not a real guitar player unless you can play Freebird." Sometimes I want to start a band called "No Skynard"
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    We had a little incident Saturday night. We (drummer and I) were breaking down the drums off to the side while some guy was playing an 8-string Uke. He sounded ok, and everything seemed normal. Said drummer tapped a few beats with his hand on the bass drum (in time w/ said Uke guy). The guy seemed annoyed and starting playing really violently - he then proceeded to throw a temper tantrum...he beat on the bass drum with his hand Really hard a few times and then kicked the side of it! Then he tried to start a fight (Fyou I'll kick your Fing ass and all that stuff). Me and another guy stepped in and chilled the guy out - I'm surprised our drummer kept his cool. The ex-military pyscho guy walked away never to be seen again. Ukelele's and violence just don't mix. Everybody assumed he was drunk as a skunk...either that or he has some real issues he needs to deal with.
  15. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I can speak from experience here. I've played in bars for close to 30 years and have tended bar for 20 plus years. You humor them and 90% of the time they go away. But there are limits such as getting drinks too close to the equipment, bothering your better half, heckling and not leaving when asked to. Then it's time tell them p$%% off while resting your hand on a mic stand. Seriously tell a doorman/bouncer or the bartender, they'll shut them off and they'll leave.
  16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    How do I deal with drunks? I get drunker than them so they don't seem so drunk.
  17. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Like Patrick Swayze said in Roadhouse. "Be nice until it's time not to be nice!"
  18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We had one of those asses at our gig Saturday, he was practically ON the stage, demanding like 10 high 5's from everyone, and just being a tool in general.....singing along to songs he had never heard before, trying to pluck strings on out guitars and basses, etc. I played along for a while, but it got old. Unless it is one of our friends, or an attractive female, I tend to blow off most everyone wanting to chat at gigs. Not sure why, it's just easier to deal with the drunks this way, even if I do come across as a dick to others.We're always nice to the ladies though :D
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Most times the person is complimenting you/the band so what I'll do usually just say "thank you" to them, then politly excuse myself by telling them I have to talk with another band member, the club owner, or I need to use the rest room.
  20. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    And when you kick ass at my next gig, people will say, "Who is he", I'll go, "His name's Tim", just like Jeff Healey did in the movie.

What's going on with the TMB? You guys need to get out gigging.