1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

How do you deal with intense stress ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 25, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Yeah make mine a doubel and neat ! Those were soem really nasty out breaks I had , for a year and a half I lived on benadryl :eek:

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I pray.

Oh wait, strike that, such offensive statements are not allowed on OT. :)

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds like an ugly job! :eek:

4. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    That's pretty much what I do too. The exact opposite of stress. Philosophize, think about the world, have a beer and generally don't take it all too seriously. Somehow the stress just washes away and then I manage to deal with things in my own pace.:)

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

:rollno:

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    It was *horrible*. I did new home starts, where you make sure the plans are correct, the permits are in hand, etc. Trouble is that the plans always need to be changed, the permits aren't there, someone stole the water meter, the customers have changed their mind after the slab's been poured...ugh!

We worked 60 hours a week more often than not, and only had 30 minutes for lunch, no other breaks except the bathroom. I spent my days constantly on the phone, taking care of "emergencies" and pacifying wealthy customers, salesmen, and the builders. (I liked the builders best...blue-collar guys, go figure.) Then hurriedly doing the data entry and reprinting plans...only to be told they're wrong, or the customer doens't like them, or the paint color's been discontinued...

That's also the year my gray hair started coming in. :rollno:

We were expected to socialize together, too. They were always having parties and cocktail hours on the weekends, and I was expected to attend. I told them they could have a drink with me if they came to my gigs, but that I could not attend their parties all the time. I need time for my family and for my music and for taking care of my home!

So...they let me go. I didn't fit in. Well...DUH!

Sooooo much better now. Small church office, beautiful scenery, quiet. LOVE IT!

Cherie :)

7. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    play bass
    talk to friends about it
    call my mom
    smoke (never tobacco)
    go for a walk
    meditate (think)
    transcend
    eat
    love
    cry

bassically, just keep on, keepin' on....

usually though, bassmoke:D

8. Depends what kind of stress. Music is usually a part of getting me relaxed and then the occasional cigar is quite helpful as well. The best for me though, is just going and sitting on the beach when its dark....helps clear my head and lets me relax.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Cherie, it honestly sounds like that life isn't fit for most people! I'd hate that.

10. Eh, I partially tease. After say a stressful day, maybe a cold beer or two. If it's BAD week, then a few of each, while out at night. It works for me. :)

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Stress is a part of life, and sometimes you just get used to it.

Life without stress = death.

12. And to be sure that he's alive and kickin', Jong eats his stress away, as evidenced by his lovely rotund pear shape. :D

...No carrots for this Korean! :smug:

13. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    :eyebrow: now that's new. I thought that stress caused death in many cases

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Oh.......D*mn........... :D

I'll admit it. I hide my stress in the various folds of my belly.

15. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Booze + Bass does it for me.

Kind of funny this thread came up, wifey and I were talking a lot last night about this topic. I have a bad problem where I can't relax "on my own" so to speak, I need to augment things to do it. Usually with a beer or two. And it really upsets me I can't do it myself. Meditation, etc don't work for me.

16. http://[malware url removed].net/vomit-smiley-9529.gif

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Either you are suited for it, or you can adapt, or you can't live like that. I think we fall into the 3rd category.

If you adapt to it, it definitely changes you. One of my dearest friends works there. She used to be so much fun, so cool to be around and great to talk with. Now, she's...corporate. Very much so. She can't understand why I left.

She thrives on that level of stress, but then again, she doesn't have anything else to do after work but recreation. She's not a musician, and doesn't have any real hobbies. Her kids are grown and gone. She's widowed, after a long and horrible marriage. She's very Type A, and enjoys stress and pressure. So...this is the *best*, for her.

But not for me. Working there, I was always angry and tired, was smoking like a danged train, never had time for family or music or my other friends. Didn't even have time for gardening, which is a great stress reliever. Heck, I never got home before dark!

Nooooooooo thank you. I earn less now, but am much happier.

Just goes to show...one must find something to do that satisfies one's self and pays the bills, to keep the stress down. We must work, yes, but not every job is right for everyone.

Rush Limbaugh was talking about people who don't want to do 60 hours a week and climb the success ladder, a couple of weeks ago. He called those people slackers, and said they were just lazy. That there was something wrong with a person like that. But *he's* wrong! We're not lazy. We're just not suited to that particular kind of job.

No More Super-Hives!!!

Cherie

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Well...

There's stress, and then there's *stress*. *Extreme* stress is bad for you, if it continues over an extended period.

Cherie

19. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The distinction I make is between stress and distress. Stress can be good, but distress is bad.

20. i pray and occasionally kill grizzly bears with my hands.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021