1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you deal with the guilt/torment of selling things?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dfreeland83, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Yeah, but gear won’t even make a dent. Rental properties involve insurance and extra costs that don’t cure debt. If he can only get 10k for it now, exactly how long should he have to wait around to see any dramatic increase? I still vote for selling the house, getting out of the credit card debt, and holding onto gear for now. But I’m just words on the internet, so grain of salt and all that.

2. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I've bought and sold and traded plenty of gear over the years. If it's not critical to get the cash, and you aren't sure about letting one go, KEEP IT. Once it's gone it's gone.

Omega Monkey and dfreeland83 like this.
  3. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Kudos to you! There are a lot of people too afraid to make that choice and leave something present that isn't really for you to pursue the path you believe is your calling. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders...I'm sure you're going to do well. Best of luck!

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Count the money and laugh like a maniac!:woot:

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    "How do you deal with the guilt/torment of selling things?"

.. after a few dozen things go out the door, it gets easier … ;)

6. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Don’t hold on to objects. Don’t be emotionally attached to objects.

chris_b likes this.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Basses and amps are simply tools to me. I change them around often depending on my gigs. No guilt, just stuff

Holdsg and chris_b like this.
  8. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I thought that I would be sad when I sold my first ever bass, an Ibanez SR500. I wasn't.

I thought that I would be sad when I sold my only actual Fender, an American P-bass. I wasn't.

I thought that my G&L SB2 was the king of all basses for a while, and played it almost exclusively. It's almost been completely replaced by my G&L L2000 and my Frankenjazz Warmoth build. That SB2 is probably the next for sale. I might be sad, but I probably won't be.

Interestingly enough, that Frankenjazz mentioned above collected dust for over a year. I thought about selling it, but knew that I wouldn't get even close to what I had into it, and I really like the black/blue burst that I did on it. I pulled it down the other day and WOW! I made a badass bass and didn't realize it!

My point being... tastes change over time. I probably wouldn't sell anything rare, but I don't have the luxury of owning anything rare. I've come to realize that potentially even my currently beloved L2000 could end up on the block some day, and I won't be sad. I'll probably just be excited for whatever I'm purchasing with those funds.

9. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Don’t count on that, bud, until it actually happens.

Now , to answer the original question , I just buy more stuff to get rid of the guilt.

10. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I’ve sold a ton of gear over the years and tried to rationalize a good portion of it by thinking I was being fiscally prudent. I don’t miss some of the gear I sold; but some of it I regret selling. Here’s an interesting factoid - I don’t regret selling any amplifiers or speakers. But instruments? Oh yeah - I miss a lot of them. To make matters worse, some of the instruments I sold became very valuable over the years and I bought them for next to nothing. If I had just kept them, I’d be sitting on a gold mine and would have still had the enjoyment of playing them.

My advice — be very selective about what instruments you sell and keep the ones you really like.

11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    99B30DBB-2863-4093-ABCC-867CC746D033.
    LIKE THIS :rollno:

12. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    Life is about the hard choices , Sometimes you have to empty your cup so it can be filled

I sold nearly all of my equipment about 10k worth I sold it at a fraction of the cost. So got back 1/3 of what it was worth.

Like you I was entering into a new dimension in my life
    For me I was selling it to finish off an apartment construction project. (In law suite downstairs)
    I needed the money to make it rentable.
    I ended up. Not even finishing it that year. I still needed another 5k to finish it . But since completing it I now have a 650-700 per month coming in. The apartment has already repaid me for not only it’s construction but for the loss of equipment value as well.

So to for you. It’s a sacrifice that is also a demonstration of the fact that you value the relationship enough to want to enter it unemcumbered.

I left myself one guitar one bass and one keyboard.
    A squier 60’s cv while selling a Q5 modulus among other expensive gear.
    What kept me going was the knowledge that this sacrifice was an investment.

I think that is what you are doing is investing. The reduced debt will make qualifying for a house easier as it will raise your credit score in a month or two.
    You will qualify for more money to purchase giving you two more options.
    Sounds like she chose the right guy.
    Don’t cut up your cards.
    But put them out of sight.
    I keep Mine in a book.
    It’s just an extra layer.

The house you buy will increase in value
    And save you money at the same time.
    Get a 15 year mortgage instead of a 30
    And you two will own a vacation home
    In 16 years.

Good luck and congrats

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:24 AM
    dfreeland83 likes this.
  13. I don't. I live by a simple rule; if I don't use/play it, it has to go. :)

That's why I currently only have one bass and one amp.

EatS1stBassist and Holdsg like this.
  14. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    What ever may come, i would never ever sell my L2-5; it be hard enough to split off a superb '93 Warwick Streamer 5 and my other Bergers, the XL5W and the XQ5, for all are pretty hard to replace and i would let go just in case of ...

15. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    That’s a good rule.

16. Yeah. I used to keep things around for sentimental value whether or not it was music gear, but at one point I realised I literally had no justifiable reason to keep it.

17. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Don’t be sad. Future you will be better off. Not only that, but this will eventually be an excuse for future you to buy new stuff. Future you won’t be sad. Future you will be stoked on his sweet new guilt-free purchase he made to make up for current you’s sacrifice.

dfreeland83 likes this.
  18. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    I feel no guilt or sense of loss in selling inanimate objects. I cannot remember having ever said that I wish I still had something or wish that I'd never sold it. This may be related but I also feel little empathy for things that I see on TV. I was the dad that said "Oh it's just a compound fracture, get back up and brush that off."

19. dfreeland83

dfreeland83

Feb 12, 2017
    Durham, NC
    I'm a lucky guy in that regard. I actually had a 15 hour a week student job at an IT department on campus while in school (for something else). I was immediately promoted to lead student tech (six months or so, after proving myself) and near the end, the IT manager in my department started the conversation, "I wish you weren't graduating in a few months." This led to that, I had a few interviews, and am going to work for the university where I just spent 3 years.

porterbass likes this.
  20. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I may well be the last person on earth to emulate financially. Made and lost serval small fortunes. If you are experiencing what you to believe a heavy debt load the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace course may work well for you.

I get the guilt thong from selling gear. My father died 10 years ago this week. I sold his 1923 Gibson L-3 last week. I feel like total...…………..