1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how do you deal with this?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pappabass, Apr 20, 2017 at 9:05 AM.

Tags:
  1. how do you deal with this? When you are playing at a open mic, guitar jam, songwriters, & someone wants to play your bass? I don't get many opportunities to play. So I don't like passing the bass. When I have, they want to keep playing. I want to be nice about it.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    "Do you have $500 for a deposit?"

3. thespoon

thespoon Cynically Optimistic

Open the bidding at $1K.

Do I hear $1500?

4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    AMERICA
    If it's a freind, it's cool. If it's a perfect stranger, probably gonna be a 'no'.

5. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Set your bass up with a really high action and use high tension strings. Will require some extra practice on your part.:woot:

6. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    "I'd be happy to sit in with you guys"

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Take a beater bass. I've got one that plays really well but was beat near to death by the heavy metal kid i got it from. When i go to open mics i take it.

mikeyjm2, bobba66, pcake and 3 others like this.
  8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    images.

Assuming that you're not the hosting bass player....that's an entirely different situation.

If I don't know you, you don't get to play my bass ( or guitar). I showed up prepared with my tools of the trade---I suggest you do the same next time.

9. I used to take a Squier I owned, but the guitar players brought their Martins, custom made guitars, etc. So I am back to my Fender. One thing I learned from a guy who plays a custom made tele, if it is not in his hands, it is in the case. I have started doing that.

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    "sorry I'm not comfortable loaning my instrument to others...you should have brought your own"

DrayMiles, red_rhino, aprod and 7 others like this.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

One recent lengthy discussion is here: Some TalkBass "Don'ts" in my band

If it's a true jam session for all comers then be sure to set rules like "three tunes max" or similar.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Is the question playing time, or letting others use your stuff?

If it's playing time, open mics I've been to generally have some kind of a limit - people sign up and everyone gets the stage for three songs, something like that. That would be apart from the host band, who might play a short set and then not play unless somebody else wants some or all of the hosts to back them, in which case they play as needed.

If it's gear - it's up to you, really. I know that "no one touches my gear" is a TB mantra, but to me it's not that big a deal. I haven't seen anything at an open mic where someone did anything that would wreck a bass. They're not that fragile. I'm sure lots of people will chime in with stories about how someone did, now. If you're the host, to my mind it's kind of expected that guests would get to borrow your bass, but that's been debated on other threads. If you're really not comfortable, you can always say sorry, I have a no-borrow policy because of what happened this one time...

40Hz, pudgychef, REV and 3 others like this.
  13. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

IMO: hrodbert696 has it right!

i watch out for obvious clumsiness when someone picks up my bass, but i really don't care that other musicians play my 'babies' --- if they can swing a fretless = cool! maybe i'll learn something!

Gravedigger Dav and hrodbert696 like this.
  14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm a firm believer in the idea that if one attends an open mic expecting to play, then one should bring an axe. But there are exceptions (e.g.; out-of-towners, other players who just happened to be there, etc). I bought a mint Squier Jaguar for $85 a couple years ago. I bring it to a local open mic, and hang it on a wall hook for all comers. There rarely are any. It looks and plays great (I wouldn't own it if it didn't). It seems that the issue in the OP though, is lending someone your bass for a set, and then they monopolize the stage for the rest of the evening. To the OP ... lend 'em your bass, and when their time is up take the stage, take your bass, and tell the stage crasher "I'll take it from here" ... with a smile.

15. I am not the host, just bootlegging ! Sometimes there is not another bass player. I can play along with everybody if they ask. I just don't want my bass to be used for a free for all. Especially strangers who walk up from the crowd. But I am trying to work my way in with this tight group.

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You are perfectly within your rights to politely let these folks know that in order to sit in they need to bring their own instruments. You'll find pretty much all opinions/scenarios/solutions on the subject in the thread linked earlier.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

17. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    Politely decline.
    If he persists, kill him.

--^@

18. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I used to have a Squire Jazz that I'd bring to open mics & allow others to use - but I sold it to somebody at an open mic! Now the guy I sold it to brings it to the open mics most times.

Lvjoebass and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I'll bet that "Squire" still has Squier printed on the headstock :smug:

upload_2017-4-20_13-26-47.

Nickweissmusic likes this.
  20. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    That's how you can tell that it's a fake Squire. They always get it wrong and say Squier on the headstock.