How do you decide when you can't hear all the options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MonkeyMan2, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MonkeyMan2

MonkeyMan2

Mar 12, 2018
    Hello -

I am looking to buy a bass compo amp with an effects loop.

I have tried to research everything to find the perfect one for me but at the end of the day I realize I need to actually hear the different amps.

I tried three different stores this weekend - and only one of the amps on my list was at any of them (the Fender Rumble 500 was at Guitar Center).

I used to live in NYC - so I was spoiled, I could always find a dealer somewhere close by. Now I live upstate NY, and I don't have as many options.

It seems videos don't really give you a truly accurate picture.

What do you all do?

Do you buy things and return them if you don't like them? The shipping can get pricey after awhile if you ordering online.

Also when listening to an amp (or any instrument for that matter) how do you determine what it will sound like with a band, and not on it's own. For instance, I was using a distortion that sounded great on it's own, but didn't cut through with the band. I switched to another pedal that sounded too harsh on it's own, but with everything else around it sounded great and cut through really nicely.

Thanks!

MM2

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021