Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you define endorsement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Aug 24, 2002.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Im not being sarcastic,but I would like to know how do some of you define what an endorsement is,and how does an endorsement works?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Jaquo - since you are and endorsing artist, don't you already know this?

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    yes but I would just like to know,maybe I can add some input for some of the TBer's who may not be familar with exactly how endorsements work since there are various shapes,forms,etc.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would say,, endorsement is a company giving you discounts to free gear encouraging you to play their equipment over the other brands.

This would probably also include being in commercials if you were a well known artist.

5. I'm not a pro, so I have no idea how it works. My assumption is that a company just wants the consumer to associate their brand with a certain artist, so they feature him/her in their advertisements, whether or not they supply them with free gear, or if the artist even uses their product exclusively. Product placement, basically. Am I close?

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'll tell you what it's NOT. Free gear. When people see me in the Warwick catalog, they assume that that's the case. My Streamer Stage 1 5 cost me $875, plus shipping. I get SIT strings for free, but I pay for my other gear. Everything else is highly discounted. I've turned down 2 companies who've offered me free instruments, because I'm not taking something just because it's free. I genuinely love Warwick basses, as well as Eshenbaughs, so I'd rather pay for those than to take something that I do not fully believe in for free. Sam Rivers even pays for his Warwicks. To me, an endorsement is a means to be able to play the stuff you love, and the companies who makes it, to thank you for choosing their brand. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of cases where people are getting free gear, but it's not the norm.

7. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    most people have the concept backwards, saying things like "who do you want to be endorsed by?"

Companies do not endorse players. Players endorse companies. To endorse something is to give approval or support to it. Companies pay popular players to endorse their products. So Warwick gives Dirk Lance money and/or free/discounted basses, and in turn Dirk endorses their product by using it and appearing in their advertisements for it. It works out for Dirk because he gets money and free/discounted basses, and it works out for Warwick because Dirk inspires hundreds of fanboys to buy Warwicks to be just like him.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have to agree with you on one point: it does work. Stu Zender is the reason why I initially checked Warwick out.