Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you define "grit"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by opivy3056, Mar 11, 2005.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey whats up?

I read all these posts on tone and amps saying how svts and tube amp's give you that signature gritty tone.

While I myself cant even figure out what it is, or get any with my setup

Is grit the sound when you have the sansamp on the edge of distortion and then you dig in and it crunches some(or driving your preamp to near clipping)? Or is it when your whole tone has a "rough" sound. I hear tones of bass tones on the radio and when I see live shows that I really like. But when Im at home playing by myself I cant seem to get any of them.

How do you guys define a gritty sound?

2. when you get that little distortion on top of what you play. its not quite overdriven but its getting there.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You are likely to hear "grit" when one of your guitar players has a Marshall stack, the other guy has a Fender Super Reverb and all you have is a combo amp. :eek: :meh:

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Clean bass is smooth around the edges, grit is slightly rough around the edges, whereas overdrive is more rough around the edges, distortion is even rougher, and fuzz just doesn't have edges.

Grit is hard to explain. It's not overdrive because it's not that rough. But it's not smooth like clean bass. Think of the slightest overdrive you could add to your tone, and take half of that. :D That's grit.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    To me grit is that annoying sound you get from an amp that is working harder than it should. Its hasn't reached the point at which its become cool, so its not distortion. It just means your $1200 SVT4 is sounding like a $100 practice amp :)

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I can get the perfect amount of grit from my Yorkville by using a lot of High and Low Mids. It cuts through and has a slighty rough 'texture' to it. :)

Graeme

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh yeah, and I would say the bass solo in 'Freewill' by RUSH is pretty gritty.

Graeme

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Boosted low mids, with a little bit more of a boost in the high-mids... tap down the lows just a tad, push the highs up a little... and dig in like a mofo.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    No no no, that's growl. Its in between Grit and Distortion :)

10. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass

YEAH!!! that's such a cool tone! The feedback is just short of sexual!! :hyper: