Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you define ($$$) low-end, medium-end and high-end?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by niomosy, Feb 26, 2003.

1. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Just wondering how others define these.

For me, generally...

Low-end: $0 - $1000

Medium-end: $1001 - $2000

High-end: $2001 - up

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Low End - crap gear I wouldn't touch (play) with a barge pole!!!

Medium - stuff I can afford

High end - stuff I can't afford, but like the look of!!

;)

3. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    For me:

Low end: £0 - £199
    Medium: £200 - £500
    High end: £501 - £800
    Uber hgih and unaffordable :( : £800+

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would disgree with that last definition - I think in the UK : High End for bass guitars would be from about £1700 up to about £3000.

But I have tried basses priced at £6,000 and up!! :eek: That's when we get to unaffordable! ;)

But nothing compared to Double Basses at £40,000 for an orchestral standard instrument.

5. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    Yeah, that was in my opinion for a guy who's just turned 17 in full time college education! :)

6. I'm with you on that one, unfortunately :(.

7. I agree completely. I define lowend-medium-highend based more on quality than price. My Spector Rex 5 is relatively cheap and made in Korea, but I don't consider it a lowend instrument at all because I prefer it to much more expensive instruments, such as a Stingray 5. But then again, that's just personal preference.

8. Bruce nailed it. Your own definition shifts with your disposable income.

My own definition of low-end includes every Korean knockoff brands up to Fender MIM.

Mid-end would be Fender MIA, Musicman et al.

High-end would be boutique basses like F-Bass, Benavente, Fodera et al.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    It’s all about QUALITY!

There are instruments that cost twice what others do and don’t have half the quality or craftsmen ship. Price is a big factor when it comes to spending level, but you can get a bass in the $1500-2500 (I consider medium) that will dominate some priced much higher.

10. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Yup.

11. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    gotta go with Bruce on this one...
    and I agree with the "quality" being the main factor. Exp: All the talk about the SX basses...while it's easy to throw them in the "low" end, apparently they are decent quality and so they would go against the conventional wisdom of more $$ for quality.

in the end: :bassist:

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd agree with Josh that ~$500 separates low from medium. Many MIA Fender models are below $1k, and I consider those medium.

High-end gets dodgy. I'll say $2000... no, make it $3000. Above that you get into Fodera/Sadowsky/MTD territory.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW, tops I've paid is $2200 for my MTD 535 (used, of course).

14. I think Josh pretty much hit the bull's eye with his interpretation. If you go to Musiciansfriend, American Musical Supply or a similar online retailer the prices Josh outlined are pretty accurate guidelines for judgeing the quality you'll get for the money you're going to spend. The obvious exceptions are closeouts, in which you can make out like a bandit or negotiating* face to face in a store WITH CASH! ;)

Mike
    * Especially something that's been on the wall for a long time, and you both know it.

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I use the Fender Line to define this -

Low = Squier by Fender and other similarly priced basses like Ibanez soundgear SR200 etc.

Medium = MIM Fender to MIJ Fenders and other such similarly priced instruments.

High = MIA Fender and similar, like Music Man basses...and then you can pay more for customs and beautique basses - but your paying for a name a lot of times or a unique or extra pretty bass.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't know whether there can be any firm definitions of these terms... I mean what I considered low/mid/high when I started it is not the same thing as today. I figure decide what you want to spend and get the best bass (meaning the one that suits you best) you can for that money, and be happy, don't worry whether it's low or high-end.

17. Low end is less than $500

Middle is $500-1500

High is $1500+.

18. Low end- 20 to 120 Hz
    Med end- 120 to 6k Hz
    Hi end- 6k to 20k Hz

There. :)

19. ooops.:meh: :D ;)

Dollar wise - agree with Josh Walsh 110%.

20. I must admit I got a chuckle outta that one, you parametric equalizer, you! :D

Mike