1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you dirty up your signal before the SA BEF when using Hot Hands

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nextdimension, Jul 27, 2012.

1. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For everyone trying to make some mean dubstep wobbles with the hot hands.
    I've seen people use synths, distortion, fuzz, ring mods...
    I was using the metal distortion on the Boss ME-50B but I really didn't like that pedal much for anything else. So I've been buying stuff to replace it but haven't found something yet that gives the BEF the right dirt it needs to make those evil talking wobbles I was getting with that setting on the ME.
    So I need some ideas to help me figure this out. Also it's just cool to see how everyone is using this pedal. Audio samples would be awesome. In my signature is a little song I did running the ME into the BEF

2. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
  3. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    ^all of those are great choices. The one most would suggest would be a Woolly Mammoth or Mastotron (clones are EVERYWHERE for cheap). The Oxide, although I've had no experience with it - yet - is also a good solution. You need a fuzz, basically, and a gated one to get a good base foundation. Experimentation is key, although its not so nice on your wallet. There are many wonderful choices. One of m favorites is the Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise.

4. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    oof. yeah, the Fairfield too. 's GOOD.

true that. gated ftw.

5. I use a B:assmaster. So far. Just got my BEF yesterday!

I already tossed up a quick video since I had the afternoon off. I went crazy with my pedals.

This was way more "Funky" and not really "Wobbly" at all, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqYnxu746k0

I've gotten a decent wobbly sound, but this video is NOT that sound. My pedal is so new that I've forgotten how I got it. I'll have to get more familiar with the BEF and post how I got it.

6. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't have experience with that filter, but with my Xerograph D, the Devi Ever Bit is my favorite.

7. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting the Mastotron and I'm loving it!