1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you display your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    So, my oldest child just moved out of my home and I'm wanting to convert his room into a dedicated music room. I've seen people hang basses from walls. I like this but not sure how safe this is. How do you display your basses?

Edit: feel free to post pics

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    Hanging them on the wall is the way to go. It's very convenient. I would do it if I didn't have junkie squatters living next door. So mine are on display inside a gun safe.

3. My vast collection of bass sits on a regular guitar stand.

I got a String Swing hanger, but never put it up. It came with a pair of drywall anchors that are supposed to be able to handle up to 15 pounds.

Callused Finger and allenhumble like this.
  4. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I store them.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Mine are in the case when not being played. Leaving them out exposes them to the cats and unpredictable human behavior not sanctioned by me not too mention, the humidity around here can rot strings in a matter of days.

6. I hang mine. I also have guitar stands scattered about so I can just put a bass down if I have to run off and do something. I keep a stand in the living room so if I decide to bring a bass in there. Wallhangars work fine, I have never had an issue with them.

JRA and allenhumble like this.
  7. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Floor stands,wall hangers,casting couch.:cool:
    I've been thinking of getting one of those guitar case stands so the basses don't take up so much space.

8. Apologies to those who have seen it before, but I got tired of handing visitors my dust covered basses and I also got sick of dusting them all the time - when they were in stands or hanging on the wall. Had a very kind Amish gentleman carpenter near Lancaster PA build me a studio case out of solid oak. It's 68" wide and holds 16 basses, keeps 'em temperature and humidity controlled and I can grab and go - as the case is right in my studio.

DSC02061.JPG DSC02072.JPG

I designed the neck holders around a sliding track with individual set screws so they can be re-configured at a moment's notice. The velvet is pricey European cotton velvet which is not flame retardart nor treated with any other substances or chemicals - which might otherwise harm the finishes. Sliding glass doors keep everything dust-free and sealed in, but easily accessible.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    In hard-shell cases. I live in earthquake country.

10. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
  11. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    I don't display them. If I did, she'd know how many I have. :smug:

12. Lol

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Floor stands and wall hangers

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    I wear them.

Eric66, jaybones, Felken and 5 others like this.
  15. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    A-frame stand. Id like to hang them on the wall, but I don't feel like bothering.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    On an Excel spreadsheet. Mine are all in cases save whatever current one I'm playing.

17. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    In cases which all pretty much vary in quality.

18. This IMO, is the only way to go. Every single home display room I've been in has left me with the impression that all of the instruments would be either better off in their cases or not in the hands of the owner. Sure, they look nice hanging around...

BassHappy likes this.
  19. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

Hung. Prefer to screw into studs, but some in drywall with toggle bolts if bass must be centered somewhere without a stud. I have some heavy basses so toggle bolts rather than plastic drywall anchors just in case.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021