Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you do it??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Antonio, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Antonio

Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    Ok if you're making a bass with rear access controls, and you have the cavity routed out, and you have the pickups routed out, how do you drill the horizontal hole to go from the pickup cavity to the control cavity. Keeping in line with the above, how do you do this for the bridge/ground. I don't have anything started yet so I can't be more specific, I've just been studying up on this but can't seem to find any directions on this process.

Thanks

Tony

2. Use a 12" long 1/4" dia. aircraft drill bit. Works like a charm.

Start the hole somewhere where the wires won't get pinched, like the corner of a pickup rout.

For the bridge wire, same thing...start the hole straight down, then work the angle in. Just be SURE of the angle, so it doesn't go too far in the bdy and miss a cavity...

I make drill jigs on a saw out of multi-layers of plywood.

get the jig's wood kinda thick, and big enough to clamp on the body once finished

drill the hole thru the jig wood at the endgrain (on the thickness, not the footprint), then cut the acute angle thru the wood piece on the edges opposite of the ones you drilled the holes in, and you should have a jig on the quick (actually two identical jigs) that'll keep the bit true as it works... It works well with thinner bodies....

You could always do it by eye, but that gets a little dicey, due to visual paralax and all... the distances aren't THAT great, but it does get a little tricky...

Just my 2 cent way around the issue...others may have much better ways.