Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you dress for gigging ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 10, 2005.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    ... and where to buy some fantasy clothing for stage ?

Some bands have few requirements about their musicians' look on stage.

The band I'm in, Challenger One, is a 10-piece band (+ 6 techs), and on stage we need to have some kinda "futuristic" clothes to fit with the decorum of the stage, somewhat inspired by Stargate.

The female and male singers are dressed in a subtle combination of PVC wear and metal bracelets, while the guitarist, keyboard player and drummer wear thing such as tight side-laced leather pants and so on.

I'm leaning towards some kinda of gothic-like look, with contrasts of black and red, and contrasts of shiny wear and matt one.

I have fixed my choice on boots (actually unisex gothic platform boots), here they are :

[​IMG]

And for the most "delirious" and "futuristic" gigs, I even also got this pair of unisex gothic thigh high boots :

[​IMG]

Without falling down into the trap of "all fetish" outfit (PVC, latex, etc.), what would you suggest to me ?

Many thanks in advance,
    Jay

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ugh - personally I'd never wear either of those, but thats just me...

I tend to wear whatever i'm wearing for the day, but then again, thats just for my youth group/church

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wow...I must play in the wrong (actually RIGHT!) band.
    I usually wear a nice pair of jeans, and if it's a dive, a t shirt (usually something music related....my Clatter shirt, a King's X shirt, occasionally an Italia or England soccer shirt), and Doc Martens.
    If its a nicer place, (and I use that term loosely), I'll wear a button down shirt instead of the t-shirt. I guess thats what you get when you do 90 percent classic rock.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Jeans and a T-shirt.

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, to be more specific, here's a pic of the singers live :

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    JL

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Spooky. Do you have an Ibanez ergodyne to go with it all? ;)

Depends on the situation. My "gigs" have all been battle of the bands or local small festivals, where I've dressed pretty casually. T-shirt, maybe an unbuttoned button-up shirt on top, jeans, and Doc Martens. When I start getting jazz gigs, it'll definitely be a bit different -- I just need to find a suitcoat! I've got a great looking, super-comfortable dress shirt, great black silk tie, dress pants, and the Docs fit the whole thing when polished, but eventually I'm going to need some dressier footwear. Black fedora too. Upside about jazz gigs -- they'll be on upright, so I can play without worrying about a strap messing up my "digs."

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The middle one a guy or girl? I can't really tell, looks pretty feminine...

No disrepsect intended.

I woulnd't wear those, I'd get some non-heeled boots.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    YIKES!!

I wear a silk shirt, some silk pants, and a nice pair of shoes.

-Mike

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You crazy Frenchies.

10. Never seen "Unisex" high heels before...

I usually wear either a T-shirt, some jeans, and my chucks, or an Under Armour form fitting shirt, a pair of khakis and my chucks. I prefer the Under Armour, its comfy.

11. if by "uni" you mean "female"...

me, i wear a full suit of chainmail and a wizard hat.

12. Come to think of it, I did that once. Seriously.

13. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The pics shows 3 girls.
    They were 3 female and 3 male singers in the band last year.

14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's the way they are called.
    Maybe it's just marketing, though in some festive situations I happened to see guys (not drag-queens...) who wore some similar heels.
    Anyway I like the look and feel, and here in Europe we like to do some "theatrical" in our gigs.
    At last, no matter for me to wear these heels, the context of playing on a stage making a huge difference with what you are and how you dress in street life. I sure would never wear these heels in the street.

Cheers,
    JL

15. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    By no means.
    Explanations just above.
    ;)

16. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    if you're inspired by stargate then wouldn't combat gear work?... just at thought :meh:

17. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    :D
    And you know what ? We love to be that crazy !
    That's a sane, safe and positive kinda madness...

18. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    amen reverend

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    [​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]
    =
    Fantasy Gig Heaven!

20. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    It depends on the venue really. We played an awards show dinner the other week, and so I wore a suit with a fitted black leather jacket and the others wore evening dresses or suits. If I play a bar I usually wear jeans and a cool tshirt, maybe a vintage concert baseball shirt. If the gig is a showcase I'll usually wear my rockstar jeans and a cute top. This is what I wore last night:

[​IMG]