How do you dress for gigs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Street Clothes (I wear whatever I would wear going to the movies/mall/store ect.)

70 vote(s)
  2. Hippie Style (free flowing shirts, tie die ect. circle sun glasses, vest, *for all you jam band musi

3 vote(s)
  3. Country/Texas Blues Style (cowboy/blues style hats, botton up shirts, cowboy boots, vest)

0 vote(s)
  4. Chicago Blues Style (dark 3 piece suits *I know, a Blues Brothers cliche*, suit coat with jeans and

2 vote(s)
  5. Semi-formal (slacks, ties, polo shirts, botton up shirts, dress shoes)

6 vote(s)
  6. Formal (3 piece suit, tux, full gown/dress, ect. )

3 vote(s)
  7. Costume (make-up, costumes, goth clothing and styles, medival style)

6 vote(s)
  8. Band has matching wardrobe (please explain in more detail)

5 vote(s)
  9. Rockabilly (slicked hair, western style button-up shirts, suit coats, jeans or slacks, white or blac

1 vote(s)
  10. More than street clothes, but nothing fancy (when you usually wear a t-shirt, but for a gig you migh

28 vote(s)
  11. Other (berets, dresses, sandals, dominatrix outfits, basically whatever I left out in the poll)

10 vote(s)
  12. I wear a suit/dress made out of carrots (self-explanatory)

10 vote(s)
  1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, this is my first poll :)

Personally, with my band, we play in our street clothes. I really don't like it. We are a blues/classic rock band, and I kind of wish we would wear more than t-shirts and jeans. (I would dress up but then I would stick out like a sore thumb)

On another note, I wouldn't want to go see a punk band, wearing slacks and ties, and I wouldn't want to go see a jazz band wearing jeans and t-shirts.

I've actually seen bands who looked like they just came from their jobs at the coal tiple. Which I think is very unprofessional.

Just wanted to add, I'm not trying to pigeonhole anyone just for what they wear, cause music's the most important factor, I was just wondering what other bands are wearing for gigs. Sorry to any females if I didn't include enough choices for your clothing but I'm not a fashion afficiando. ;)
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I play in a sorta goth metal band. I wear a long sleeve black dress shirt buttoned up all the way. then black pants, and black shoes. and black freaky hair. People say it looks like a "Spikey Frow on a white boy"....... i guess,,,, thats ,,,what i was going for.......But i dress like that all the time, not just for gigs.
  3. I voted more than street clothes...

I usually pick my best clean pants and put on some button-up shirt...

4. my band(s) just wear a wee bit more than we would normally wear whe we're out and about, ie, we might wear expensive, real merchendise rammstien t-shirts instead of fakes bought outside the gigs.

that kind of thing.
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Lots of times, this:

6. Generally street clothes. I've had occasional gigs where its been like "HEY! lets dress up all crazy like" and its fun. I've seen some punkish bands wearing sports coats and ties w/ shorts, sorta the grungy/dressy paradox. I think its kinda cool, I'd do it.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I remember my first Pole, too...I think her name was Lesa Schelemski.

Whatever I wear, I usually get bitched at...

In the '70s-
    Very long hair, Jeans & t-shirts. I actually fit-in.

In the Top-40/R&B daze of the '80s
    I ALWAYS wore a tie(babe-magnet when they're tied right!). Band leader said I was too conservative...he always wanted the band to wear something in RED. Not me("OK", on occasion, I did sport a red tie!). ;)

I have been in both Alternative Rock(covers) & Avant Funk(originals) bands...back to jeans & T-shirts.
    I'm also in a New Country parody band "owned" by a certain radio station here @the Beach. The old station manager was constantly on my case.
    There was a time when everyone BUT me was in a side band that played Country 100% of the time...I owned no Western attire & had no desire to do so.
    Anyway, we usually played outside, so I wore shorts & tank tops while everone else was wearing whatever; thank God, the band's leader was on my side...truthfully, this band is about being irreverent & not about taking ourselves seriously! Yeah, I looked outta place & like I had just wandered in from the was pretty funny, though.
    (BUT-I am now expected to wear LONG pants!) ;)
  8. o1x3w3a2h

Dec 14, 2001
    Cheektowaga, NY
    usually its street clothes, but we got plans for costumes, lab coats, bondage gear, gas masks, & other stuff.
  9. I've never really had a real gig (mostly playing a g**tar in parties) but I'm not big on dressing up so I think I'd go with street clothes, or perhaps more than street clothes. My first gig will be in a Zero T-shirt though. :D
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Blues Brothers would be a two piece suit not three:)
  11. With my old band, we had our own wardrobe..

A black skirt ( don't laugh ) with armyboots under it and a black longsleeve with the band-logo on the back.

sort of looked like the Smashing Pumpkins..

imagine 4 bearded guys looking like that, playing very agressive industrial / metalcore :D
  12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    In one band, we used to always wear red.

Now, I normally wear a sports jersey (hokey, football, basketball).

We are moving toward always dressing in black. That is more to reflect a change in our style.
  13. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Street clothes, preferably with dark foot gear.

I like white sneakers myself, but they look funny on stage in some situations. Unless of course you're the drummer and they don't see your feet! :p
  14. I'd rather not... :oops:
  15. Operation Ivy t-shirt, blue jeans (which as of today are destroyed, leaving me with one pair of pants :() and my K-mart skater shoes. :)
  16. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    i usually just wear a button up t-shirt, baggy jeans, skateboarding shoes, you know, whatever. but then again my bandmates and i like dress weird too, such as midgets (just cut 2 holes in a cardboard box and put your legs in, then cut some shoes in half and put them where your kness are) and pimps and stuff. it's great
  17. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    t-shirt & jeans.
  18. ...

I've worn everything from formal to h-core punk jackets and ripped jeans.

Favourite, though, is just slightly nicer than street.

I've yet to play in drag (let alone dress in drag at all) but I think it would be amusing to try at some point...