How do you EQ for slap or do you?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Just wondering how y'all EQed your bass for slap.
  2. Jody

Jun 20, 2005
    My amp(behringer) has a bit of an unorthodox EQ. It starts at -6 and ends in 6, 0 being no change to bass's natural tone. I keep bass and treble at 6(all the way up) and then cut the high and low mids both to -2. It gives my j-bass copy a nice crisp slap tone.
  3. Mine goes -15 to 15. For a more percussive tone I use (from bass to highs) {+3, +4, -4}. For a harsher bright tone I use {+3, +9, +15} I may move the mids up or down a tiny bit. I'd like to work out something that only cuts (traditional EQ wisdom), but I'm not sure if that would quiet things much or not.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't EQ at all. I've come to despise that trebly twang tone associated with modern slapping. If I have to slap, I leave everything where it is when I'm playing fingerstyle. Listen to the killer 70's funk slap bass lines. They don't have that biting high end and you can still make out the slaps just fine.
  5. Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    I`m leaving the Bass and treble at O and stress the mids. Lower mids just a bit and the higher mids a lot more. Sounds pretty good.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For slapping in the bedroom, a smiley face EQ gives a very nice tone. Cut the mids a bit, and boost the highs and lows a bit.

For playing with a band in a live situation, a smiley face EQ will get you buried, especially if you play with distorted guitars. Mids are your friend, when playing with a band.
  7. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    For slapping I have my EQ off, with the deep button pressed in (Ashdown EVOII 500), I also give it plenty of fast attack compression.
  8. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Here's Dale Titus' slap setting for the warwick blue cab 30. I've used it for my amps too.

9. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    2 6 8 2 (low, low mid, high mid, high)

Combined with the settings on my bass: using both pickups, and turning the bass/treble knob into the middle
  10. Well it looks like there is the cut mids and the boost mid guys.

I can see how they both have a place

thanks again
  11. Probably because everyone's basses have different sounds and have to be EQ'd each to it's own. I guess use the examples, then find the best EQ for your bass. Going to be doing the same thing soon, myself. It's amazing, though, that in all the advice, there's total opposite ends of thought. Again; different situations call for different EQ-ing.
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    11, 11, 11, 11, 11, and 11.
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I prefer not to change EQ once its set, so I don't have a 'slap setting', per se. I like a nice, full tone, and then I let my fingers do the EQing.