1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you feel about buying "one-offs" and clones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    So I started building pedals mainly in the interest of building some out of production pedals or modded versions for my own tone quest (and I find it kind of therapeutic). Any pedals that I found to not be my flavor I thought I'd gift to friends and such first, but I may not have a friends that care to utilize some sounds. So I guess the question is, if I post some for sale in the classifieds occasionally, how much interest is there? What do you think is a proper price for home built pedals?

Important: I have no interest in this as a company. I don't care about profit though covering parts and a little compensation for time would be nice. I have no interest in taking orders and or designing my own circuits. Most will be built out of mid-level parts (any I really like I will build again for myself with top shelf parts). Some circuits may have mods some may just be clones... Thoughts?

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    if you can inspire somebody to play bass by giving them a little kick in their tone with an affordable pedal, then that's great

3. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    If you posted a sound clip I liked I wouldn't not buy it just because it's homemade. But I also wouldn't pay out the nose either.

4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Off the top of my head I think that most pedals could be sold in the $50-$70 range. Which I would have to say some of the fuzz pedals I have built are better than some that sell for double or triple the $... The alternative to sellin' 'em on the classified is to just send them randomly to bands and see if they end up on someone's board... that might be fun.

5. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I'd be interested, totally.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If you build something new and interesting, or at least add to or re-package in a way that adds value (maybe a smaller package, blend, top mounted jacks, less noise, better low end, etc) and publish a good demo that shows off the sound I might be interested.

Just another clone of something already out there is not interesting to me, I'd rather buy an original (as much as that exists) and support the one who came up with the product in the first place.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I would bet considerable interest.

8. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
  9. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I'd like to replace my big muff with a gated fuzz if you have one of those in that price range. Most are just more than I want to pay right now.

10. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I would not want to be competing with the original makers' business in any way... I will only be prototyping each clone once and it may include mods or not... If someone wanted the production pedal, then I would definitely send them to the original designer. This will be a "what you hear is what you get" with no guarantee that it is consistent to the originals.

11. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013