1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you feel about girls using the word 'dude'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wdinc01, Nov 27, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here I was thinking I'd never post a thread about girls, but I really need to say something about this.

Nothing annoys me more than a chick calling me dude. I don't know why, but it just bothers the crap out of me. I think it's really because 'dude' is the man's word to refer to each other. It's like a primitive thing, and I honestly feel like it promotes brotherhood or something ridiculous like that.

When I hear a girl use it, though, it's almost like she's just mocking me, or doesn't think much of me.

For what it's worth, I get onto my brother for saying dude when he speaks to our father because, I dunno, I think it's weird. Maybe I'm just starting to get annoyed with the word. Or maybe I'm thinking too much and should go have some Thanksgiving leftovers.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't mind if it's a friend, but dude is the last thing I want to be called by my significant other.

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    I hate when a girl says dude, it sounds....weird

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Maybe you're thinking too deeply into it. She might be trying to act cute, or maybe she just feels like she's 'one of the guys.' Dude is such a casual word - I really doubt she's saying it to disrupt your whole dudiverse.

5. i dunno dude, sometimes i find it sexy when a dudette calls me dude.

6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    'Bout the same as when guys call women "chicks"

7. I barely care enough to post.

8. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
  9. I couldn't care less. Most women my age wouldn't use it anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

10. Doesn't bother me one bit. I have a friend who does it, has done as long as I can remember.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've got no problem with a woman calling me "dude". If I had a kid your age, however, I would have a problem with him calling me "dude"... :eyebrow:

MM

12. i dont know if all of you would have a problem with dude that say you have a problem with dude depending what dude youre talking to. cause i say dude a lot but when i say it, it just kind of fits in and flows and i say it so fast people dont really ever catch that im calling them dude like 50 times.

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Dude.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How about when guys call chicks dudes? I assume it's one sign you're getting dangerously close to the dreaded friend zone.

15. not really dude. i call girls dudes all the time and they're completely cool with it. but then again i can call people dude like 50 times without them noticing im calling them dude

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't care what a chick says as long as she's naked, because whether she likes it or not I'm taking it home and using it.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I think it is a little odd hearing a Female say "Bro" Speaking to someone other then their Brother or Brother type figure.

18. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i don't care if chicks say dude. i say dude to basically everyone, bosses, people i don't know, parents, people working at stores, etc etc.

usually i'll follow up with a "nyah see, sha sha sha!!!" in old school wiesel gangster snitch voice also.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's just weird.

20. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Not a problem.