how do you feel about mahogany necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Oct 1, 2005.

1. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    how's the sound?
  2. I have two axes with mahogany necks, a Washburn acoustic 6-string, and a Carvin AC-40 bass.

I like the sound of both instruments a lot...the carvin has a nice focused tone that I can dial in lots of lows through EQ without getting muddy.

I wouldn't say that mahogany necks are as stable as maple, so if you do get one, make sure that it has graphite reinforcement rods, or something similar, in addition to the truss rod.

In addition, I like the look of's just a nice, solid, tight-grained wood.
  3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I am likely wrong, but I was always under the impression mahogany was an open grained wood. So it probably would need a thick finish on it (not oil without filler) to make it nice and smooth. I dig an oiled neck, so... not for me. But I am incorrect for sure!
  4. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Carvin LB75, all mahogany, neck and wings.

I really like mine. It is "raw" wood, so I have to oil it down twice a year or so, but I really like it. I have used it since about 1994 with no problems whatsoever. BTW: The Carvin neck has a truss rod plus two "stabilizer" bars, and I have never had any neck problem, other than the standard adjusting the truss when I change string gauge stuff.

There is a chart floating around out there that lists the wood and the sound characteristics relating to that wood. Mahogany was above the middle toward bright (not as bright as maple), but I am sure the fretboard wood has a lot to do with the overall sound as well. My f/b is ebony.
  5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Wouldn't a Mahogany neck be too heavy with a lot of neck dive?
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Gibson Thunderbirds have (mostly) mahogany multi-laminate necks. I've always figured much of the T-Birds authoritative (but clear) low mid presence to be a factor of it's mahogany neck through design.